Respected Contributor

Banks do issue both debit cards and charge cards with the Visa logo on it.

We've had credit cards compromised and were notified either by the bank or the establishment that had accounts hacked.  We never had to take care of the problems ourselves.  New cards were issued immediately.

If a bank or any credit card issuer told me I needed to take care of the problem myself and that there was a lot of paperwork involved, they'd lose me as a customer immediately.

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of anyone having to handle it themselves either.

When an account is compromised, it is up to you update any auto-drafts with the information.

The card issuer usually "handles" whatever needs to be handled.

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@MissBonBon wrote:

I've always wondered how the credit card companies know that it is not you making a purchase at a particular store, especially if you shop at various stores. How can they tell?

Mine was from the Midwest, I live on the West coast, and it was for an unusual product ordered online.

My daughter's card had multiple purchases from a country in Europe and one from another state.  They red-flag oddities like that.

Mine had a $20 manicure purchase in the Philippeans.

I didn't freak out.

The credit card company called me and asked me if I had made the purchase. 

I told them that I hadn't.

They closed that account, and issued me a new card.

I went on with life.

Hers is up to $2000 already and her bank keeps adding additional false charges to the list.  They did nothing to stop the new charges and told her she would have to go through paper work and deal with it herself, no new card.

She's young, they also told her that her entire savings could be hacked.  You'd be upset, too.  Especially if you were young and paying off student loans with your savings.

I do not believe she understands the importance of having a good credit history and the value of her good name.

I found a link, What happens when your credit is too low? 

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/6-biggest-ways-bad-credit-110012930.html 

What on earth are you talking about?  She has an excellent credit rating, we are talking about her credit card being hacked and that the hacker has racked up $2000 already without her bank taking care of it even though they were notified and notified her.

This entire thread is about credit cards being hacked.

One of the bank employees told her it was also possible for the hacker to get into her savings.

Seriously, what the heck are you talking about?  The problem has NOTHING to do with credit rating.

I believed this was a identity thief. Why would a lender ask her to correct the problem herself?

I have been hacked about 3 times in 45 years. A lender never ask me to do anything. I just reported the problem in a timely manner.

How did you miss all the information provided?   I told you she asked to speak to the manager today and the manager said it was all their mistake and the woman she had spoken to had been WRONG.  I think I have said that three times now.  You jumped to a very wrong and insulting conclusion.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

There is a Chase phishing email going around right now.  I got it today.  These always say that fraudulent activity has been detected on your card.  They ask you to send your banking information.  These emails should not be opened and immediately forwarded to

abuse@chase.com.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@MissBonBon wrote:

I've always wondered how the credit card companies know that it is not you making a purchase at a particular store, especially if you shop at various stores. How can they tell?

Mine was from the Midwest, I live on the West coast, and it was for an unusual product ordered online.

My daughter's card had multiple purchases from a country in Europe and one from another state.  They red-flag oddities like that.

I didn't freak out.

I went on with life.

Hers is up to $2000 already and her bank keeps adding additional false charges to the list.  They did nothing to stop the new charges and told her she would have to go through paper work and deal with it herself, no new card.

She's young, they also told her that her entire savings could be hacked.  You'd be upset, too.  Especially if you were young and paying off student loans with your savings.

I do not believe she understands the importance of having a good credit history and the value of her good name.

What on earth are you talking about?  She has an excellent credit rating, we are talking about her credit card being hacked and that the hacker has racked up $2000 already without her bank taking care of it even though they were notified and notified her.

One of the bank employees told her it was also possible for the hacker to get into her savings.

Seriously, what the heck are you talking about?

You keep mentioning her bank. Was it her DEBIT card that was compromised? Because DEBIT cards are issued through the bank (even if they have a Visa/Mastercard name on them), and have virtually NO protection against fraudulant use.

Credit Card companies will forgive fraudulent charge(s), and issue a new card, as they did with me.

this is not true.....at least with bank of america. i had my DEBIT card compromised and it was used as a visa. someone bought theater tickets in london. i spoke with someone at the bank when i saw the charge. they froze my account, cancelled my debit card, i signed a paper, and within 48 hours my funds were back in my checking account. it was handled very quickly and very easily.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@MissBonBon wrote:

I didn't freak out.

I went on with life.

Seriously, what the heck are you talking about?

You keep mentioning her bank. Was it her DEBIT card that was compromised? Because DEBIT cards are issued through the bank (even if they have a Visa/Mastercard name on them), and have virtually NO protection against fraudulant use.

Credit Card companies will forgive fraudulent charge(s), and issue a new card, as they did with me.

This is not true at all.  I have had my debit card compromised a number of times.  Everytime it has happened, everything was taken care of immediately, with the exception of the one time something happened over the weekend and I had to wait until Monday.

Everytime my debit card was compromised, my bank provisionally replaced all the money that was taken.  Then I had to go into the bank and fill out forms which were then reviewed by the board and once it was determined I did not make those purchases, they considered the money they replaced to be permanent.