Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@MissBonBon wrote:

I've always wondered how the credit card companies know that it is not you making a purchase at a particular store, especially if you shop at various stores. How can they tell?

Mine was from the Midwest, I live on the West coast, and it was for an unusual product ordered online.

My daughter's card had multiple purchases from a country in Europe and one from another state.  They red-flag oddities like that.

Mine had a $20 manicure purchase in the Philippeans.

I didn't freak out.

The credit card company called me and asked me if I had made the purchase. 

I told them that I hadn't.

They closed that account, and issued me a new card.

I went on with life.

Hers is up to $2000 already and her bank keeps adding additional false charges to the list.  They did nothing to stop the new charges and told her she would have to go through paper work and deal with it herself, no new card.

She's young, they also told her that her entire savings could be hacked.  You'd be upset, too.  Especially if you were young and paying off student loans with your savings.

I do not believe she understands the importance of having a good credit history and the value of her good name.

I found a link, What happens when your credit is too low? 

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/6-biggest-ways-bad-credit-110012930.html 

What on earth are you talking about?  She has an excellent credit rating, we are talking about her credit card being hacked and that the hacker has racked up $2000 already without her bank taking care of it even though they were notified and notified her.

One of the bank employees told her it was also possible for the hacker to get into her savings.

Seriously, what the heck are you talking about?

You keep mentioning her bank. Was it her DEBIT card that was compromised? Because DEBIT cards are issued through the bank (even if they have a Visa/Mastercard name on them), and have virtually NO protection against fraudulant use.

Credit Card companies will forgive fraudulent charge(s), and issue a new card, as they did with me.

Honored Contributor

I went onto all of my credit cards and my checking account to set up more alerts.  Knowing me, I don't even understand why I didn't do this a long time ago.

Some of them didn't have very good choices for alerts, unfortunately, but I checked all of the 'purchases from other countries' and even all online, store, etc (forgot what else it said), purchases and on some I checked purchases over a certain amount.  Better than nothing, I'm sure.  Smiley Happy

I just have to keep up on checking my emails since I don't do texting.  But that's ok.  I'm pretty on it.  I don't have a smart phone (no need for one), but I can check/answer my emails on my iPod when I'm not on the computer.

Thanks to those who mentioned alerts. 

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@MissBonBon wrote:

I've always wondered how the credit card companies know that it is not you making a purchase at a particular store, especially if you shop at various stores. How can they tell?

Mine was from the Midwest, I live on the West coast, and it was for an unusual product ordered online.

My daughter's card had multiple purchases from a country in Europe and one from another state.  They red-flag oddities like that.

I didn't freak out.

I went on with life.

Hers is up to $2000 already and her bank keeps adding additional false charges to the list.  They did nothing to stop the new charges and told her she would have to go through paper work and deal with it herself, no new card.

She's young, they also told her that her entire savings could be hacked.  You'd be upset, too.  Especially if you were young and paying off student loans with your savings.

I do not believe she understands the importance of having a good credit history and the value of her good name.

What on earth are you talking about?  She has an excellent credit rating, we are talking about her credit card being hacked and that the hacker has racked up $2000 already without her bank taking care of it even though they were notified and notified her.

One of the bank employees told her it was also possible for the hacker to get into her savings.

You keep mentioning her bank. Was it her DEBIT card that was compromised? Because DEBIT cards are issued through the bank (even if they have a Visa/Mastercard name on them), and have virtually NO protection against fraudulant use.

Credit Card companies will forgive fraudulent charge(s), and issue a new card, as they did with me.

No, it was not a DEBIT card.

It seems you missed the entire point, which is that her bank did NOT do the right thing yesterday.  She got hold of the manager this afternoon and the manager apologized that whoever handled it before had handled it wrong,  The manager straightened it out for her.

Sorry, but that still does not explain why you jumped to such a ridiculous conclusion, based on nothing.

What you do not seem to understand is that anyone can have their credit card hacked and it has NOTHING to do with their credit rating.

Did you read this line and see that many people here have had their credit card hacked? 

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@lmtep wrote:

They should go back to the earlier days when you used to have to show other proof of identity.  Really bad when the employees of the credit card company issuing the card can't be trusted.

The fraudulent purchases are usually made online, no proof needed, just CC info.

Mine was hacked that way and so was my daughter's.

This also means that they got the entire card including the CVV or CVC code

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@MissBonBon wrote:

I didn't freak out.

I went on with life.

No, it was not a DEBIT card.

It seems you missed the entire point, which is that her bank did NOT do the right thing yesterday.  She got hold of the manager this afternoon and the manager apologized that whoever handled it before had handled it wrong,  The manager straightened it out for her.

Sorry, but that still does not explain why you jumped to such a ridiculous conclusion, based on nothing.

What you do not seem to understand is that anyone can have their credit card hacked and it has NOTHING to do with their credit rating.

Did you read this line and see that many people here have had their credit card hacked? 

Yes, and I have had my credit card hacked, too. A fraudulent purchase was made on my credit card, for a manicure for $20, over in the Phillipeans.

My credit card issuer, (Chase, I think it was), just notified me of the charge, and asked if it was me who had made the charge.

I told Chase that I did not make the purchase.

Chase closed that card, and issued me a brand new one.

I did not have to go through a bank to get all that done.

The only card that I have with my bank, is my debit card, and it has a Visa logo on it.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@MissBonBon wrote:

I didn't freak out.

I went on with life.

Beg to differ. My bank debit card (VISA) which I used AS a debit card, not a CC, was hacked over Mem Day weekend. The bank called me, asked if several charges were mine. I said no and they were all reversed by the bank, a temporary card was issued on the spot and I had a new permanent card in the mail within 5-6 days.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

We have also been through this.  My DH had several suspicious gasoline charges from out of state on his AE Card.  AE contacted us, and we confirmed that we did not make those charges. 

Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@MissBonBon wrote:

I didn't freak out.

I went on with life.

This entire thread is about credit cards being hacked.

Seriously, what the heck are you talking about?  The problem has NOTHING to do with credit rating.

I believed this was a identity thief. Why would a lender ask her to correct the problem herself?

I have been hacked about 3 times in 45 years. A lender never ask me to do anything. I just reported the problem in a timely manner.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@MissBonBon wrote:

I didn't freak out.

I went on with life.

This entire thread is about credit cards being hacked.

Seriously, what the heck are you talking about?  The problem has NOTHING to do with credit rating.

I believed this was a identity thief. Why would a lender ask her to correct the problem herself?

I have been hacked about 3 times in 45 years. A lender never ask me to do anything. I just reported the problem in a timely manner.

That's all I'm saying'. My lender, Chase, never asked me to do anything, either. That's why I thought that it might have been a bank debit card.

Respected Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

'What I don't understand', is that those 'chips' supposedly can be scanned through our handbags by someone standing and sitting nearby.  It seems to me that they should forget using 'chips' and revert back to the former credit cards that cannot be remotely scanned.  Some banks are switching from the old-fashioned credit cards over to the new 'chipped' ones.  Doesn't make much sense to me........... Somebody 'set me straight'........

The new chips being used are not the RFID chips of the past.  The new chip must be present for an actual exchange of data at the point-of-sale terminal it is used in.  At least, that's what was explained to me.