Honored Contributor

We have a large Intel plant in my community that is expanding.  There has been a huge crane working there for months.  It's described as one of the largest land-based cranes in the world. 

A couple days ago, a cable broke and the gigantic boom snapped in half, falling to the ground.  Nobody was hurt but it came mighty close to killing some cars in an adjacent parking lot.  Neighbors say it make a huge bang when it crashed.  Kind of an awesome sight right by the highway.

Screenshot_20230324_162338_Chrome.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Whoa, @Kachina624 ,  scary,  but at least how wonderful that no one was hurt or killed.

Honored Contributor

I suppose they'll have to bring in another big crane to lift this one.  Fixing it will be tricky. I'm glad it's not my project to worry about. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 I don't even know what to say. There must be more than a few engineers working on that one. It was amazing no one was injured.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It's just sitting there untouched. The company won't discuss it with the news media.  I feel sure it's probably a contractor's responsibility. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It's just sitting there untouched. The company won't discuss it with the news media.  I feel sure it's probably a contractor's responsibility. 

@Kachina624    ....and an insurance company nightmare!    Wonder how much money this mishap cost the project....     di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi    There's probably a lot they can't do without the crane.  That sucker was 450ft tall. OSHA is on the way to investigate safety violations. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desertdi    There's probably a lot they can't do without the crane.  That sucker was 450ft tall. OSHA is on the way to investigate safety violations. 

@Kachina624    Holy leapin' lizards...that crane was as high as  45-story building!      It truly is a MIRACLE there were no fatalities.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  our city is growing like crazy.  Cranes everywhere.  In 2021 right in city centre during Hurricane Dorian, a crane collapsed.  It is a miracle no one was hurt or killed.  This is in an upscale very densely populated part of the city.  Lawsuits galore.  It took months to remove it.  Businesses were inaccessible.  LM

D3949E2D-9F65-4C1F-A750-E0BE9758FE58.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I suppose they'll have to bring in another big crane to lift this one.  Fixing it will be tricky. I'm glad it's not my project to worry about. 

Crane booms of that size are sectional. Sections are typically 20-50 feet long. They had a failure in one or two sections. Those damaged sections will be removed and repaired or replaced along with the damaged cable. I'm a little surprised they needed a crane that big. Either they're building something a lot taller than it appears, or they needed to put something heavy a long ways from where the crane is parked.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!