Respected Contributor

I have a loud truck noise situation going on...

You guys always give good advice or ideas so here goes.

I have a next door neighbor that brought home a very loud older truck that can't be legal as far as the loudness of it.

Our homes are very close together and he parks in the second driveway close to my bedroom. I also have three windows in my bedroom. There is no other space to sleep in. I am not replacing my windows or moving. I've lived here over 35 years.

Last night he came home after midnight and it sounds like a freight train coming thru my room He has to back in which makes it even louder (don't know why).

He moved in with his sister who's father bought her the house 10 years ago. He's been here a couple of years now.

Is this a city problem and how do I go about reporting it?

She also has 2 barking dogs that we have fought over for years with the city, we are not on speaking terms.

There is also the neighbor across the street who bought a new truck last year and it's almost as loud as this one. He leaves every morning at 7 am and goes flying down the street. They all come and go a lot.

Both of these trucks wake me up at all hours and my pets go flying out of the room with the noise. I can't take it! I am in my bedroom almost 24/7. The houses are small anyway.

I let it go with the first truck but with 2 now it's bad.

I know there is a decimal system that is measured for the noise that is used to determine if they are too loud. 

I know I'm asking for trouble but I can't stand it. 

He is not going to park on the street because there are too many thefts and breakin's with the cars. The street is not wide enough for cars on both sides. Very nice neighborhood but crime is rising. I doubt he would change anything if I try and talk to him. He had a car where the alarm system went off during the day and night which was bad. 

They are all in their 30s and seriously most neighbors could care less whether they bother someone or not.  

They are guys they like loud trucks. The louder the better.

Any ideas about the trucks?

Trusted Contributor

Re: I have a loud truck noise situation going on...

@luvmyteddy4   Sorry you have to deal with this noisy situation.  Unfortunately, I don't have any good advice for you .  But you have my sympathy.  It's unbelievable how inconsiderate some people can be. 

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Valued Contributor

How awful that you are dealing with that.  We had a similar problem at my mom's house with loud 4 wheelers (up to 5 of them) all day long.  My father was trying to recover from cancer and couldn't get any rest because of the noise.  We didn't ask them to stop completely, just to reduce the amount of time so it wasn't all day every day.The neighbors laughed and drove the vehicles even more.  We had to look into our local noise ordinances.  We were advised to document dates, times, people, and to get video etc.  In our state (Maryland) there was an agency that we contacted and they sent someone out to measure the noise and that was the only way we were able to stop it.  Wishing you the best in resolving this.

Super Contributor

Lots and lots of fervent prayers.  🙏🙏🙏

Honored Contributor

There is typically a general number for city services that you can call that will direct you to the correct contact for noise complaints. It may get funneled through the local police department. (NOT 911)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@luvmyteddy4   I am sympathetic but have no advice for you.  I know what I would do--move especially since you say the neighborhood has changed and the other neighbors don't seem to care--and find a more peaceful place to live.  It will be a long and difficult process to document the noise you describe.

In the meantime, I would invest in a good pair of noise cancelling headphones and a "white noise" machine.

Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

I live in a development with an HOA. There are rules against noise past a certain time. If you violate the rule   you're given a warning. If you violate it again you're fined.

My county also has laws against noise past a certain time of day. If our HOA has no luck dealing with the issue they call the police & ask the homeowners affected to do the same.

This only happened once in the last 30 years,that I can recall.

You need to find out what the local laws are in your area & then file a complaint.

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I live in a development with an HOA. There are rules against noise past a certain time. If you violate the rule   you're given a warning. If you violate it again you're fined.

My county also has laws against noise past a certain time of day. If our HOA has no luck dealing with the issue they call the police & ask the homeowners affected to do the same.

This only happened once in the last 30 years,that I can recall.

You need to find out what the local laws are in your area & then file a complaint.

I am not in a HOA so I will have to call the non-emergency number and figure out what my next step is.

Esteemed Contributor

The official text of the Noise Control Act is available in the United States Code, from the U.S. Government Printing Office.
42 U.S.C. §4901 et seq. (1972)
Inadequately controlled noise presents a growing danger to the health and welfare of the Nation's population, particularly in urban areas. The major sources of noise include transportation vehicles and equipment, machinery, appliances, and other products in commerce.

The Noise Control Act of 1972 establishes a national policy to promote an environment for all Americans free from noise that jeopardizes their health and welfare. The Act also serves to

establish a means for effective coordination of Federal research and activities in noise control
authorize the establishment of Federal noise emission standards for products distributed in commerce
provide information to the public respecting the noise emission and noise reduction characteristics of such products.
While primary responsibility for control of noise rests with State and local governments, Federal action is essential to deal with major noise sources in commerce, control of which require national uniformity of treatment. EPA is directed by Congress to coordinate the programs of all Federal agencies relating to noise research and noise control.

I am hoping this helps. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

35 years? MOVE.  I would not  deal with some one  like him....life is short. Plenty of other better places