Respected Contributor

Water Alert in Philadelphia and South Jersey

There was a toxic chemical spill into the Delaware River north of Philadelphia. All municipalities that source municipal water from the river have now been told that the water will be safe until 11:59 pm Monday. An announcement will be made what to do after that deadline.

The news is reporting there is no more water for sale on shelves right now. We are also being told to conserve water usage or safe water won't last until tomorrow night. Some guy on TV said this is why we always tell you to keep two days of water supplies in the house.

Not a good situation.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Water Alert in Philadelphia and South Jersey

So sorry to hear this @PickyPicky3 .  Please keep us posted. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

There was a toxic chemical spill into the Delaware River north of Philadelphia. All municipalities that source municipal water from the river have now been told that the water will be safe until 11:59 pm Monday. An announcement will be made what to do after that deadline.

The news is reporting there is no more water for sale on shelves right now. We are also being told to conserve water usage or safe water won't last until tomorrow night. Some guy on TV said this is why we always tell you to keep two days of water supplies in the house.

Not a good situation.

@PickyPicky3 

What caused the spill?

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Not a good situation.

@PickyPicky3 

What caused the spill?

hckynut 🇺🇸

d

@hckynutjohn 

my daughter is there now and the lines to buy bottled water in places like target and walmart were crazy.

a pipe burst at a chemical plant that led to dumping of about 8100 gallons of a latex finishing material into the delaware river. that water then feeds into the baxter drinking water treatment plant.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Philadelphia rescinds bottled-water alert after chemical spill in the Delaware River (msn.com)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 

Thank you for that information. That is a terrible situation. I hope then can somehow get this problem fixed as soon as possible. Sorry to hear about the bottled water situation.

My wife always buys a couple cases of bottled water when she shops at Costco. She drinks it, I drink our filtered water. Guess it's the frugal nature in me! 

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

This continues to confirm we need to invest in our country....infrastructure is just one of the many concerns.  Hopefully, the current crisis will ignite focus on our country's current status.  My wishes for safety and strength for those affected by recent tornados as well as those impacted by this "equipment failure".

"Hazardous materials were released after an equipment failure at the Trinseo Altuglas manufacturing facility in Bristol Township just before midnight Friday, causing more than 8,000 gallons of a latex emulsion to pour into Otter Creek, according to the chemical company and the U.S. Coast Guard...."

Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3 , scary when the water is affected.  LM

Honored Contributor

I wonder why they can say water is safe only until Monday night. 

I am in the Philadelphia area but my water thankfully comes from a different source, not the Delaware River.  Even so, I was in CVS yesterday morning and saw two women with shopping carts full of bottled water headed for check-out.  I thought it was strange, the Philadelphia water advisory didn't even occur to me.

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I wonder why they can say water is safe only until Monday night. 

I am in the Philadelphia area but my water thankfully comes from a different source, not the Delaware River.  Even so, I was in CVS yesterday morning and saw two women with shopping carts full of bottled water headed for check-out.  I thought it was strange, the Philadelphia water advisory didn't even occur to me.

@ValuSkr -- They have enough already reated water in the pipeline until midnight tonight.  Yesterday they said to take containers and fill them up while they had the treated water available.  This is all being done as a precaution.  Hopefully, it will be resolved soon.