Esteemed Contributor

Covid tracking/tracing costs

I am in Arkansas. We are having quite a few new infections, nothing like the more populated states, but it seems like a lot, yesterday it was 697 new ones. 

Also yesterday, our governor said the Arkansas Dept of Health has been directed to double the number of contract tracers, from 350 to 700. He said it will cost approximately 22 million. 22 MIllION?

This request will be presented to the CARES Act Steering Committee.

I agree we need contract tracers. I am just shocked that it is costing so much.

What do ya'll think of that?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Covid tracking/tracing costs

Would think that he is talking about an amount budgeted for a period of time.  Setting up a State department and funding it is not cheap. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

My state set the minimum number as 15 per 100,00 population and requires that 95% of new cases be traced within 24 hours.

Honored Contributor

We need tracers , we need to stop this continuing pandemic, whatever the cost do it!  It's our health and well being we're talking about.  Yes, it is a shocking cost but with all the waste of taxpayers money which has been going on, paying for trips for one example and there are hundreds of others, the cost for tracing is minimal.  Just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

@happycatNumbers without context do little for me.

I might have an opinion if I knew what those 700 workers would be doing if they weren't tracking and tracing.  What skill level is required for the work?   Would they be working in private indistry is they weren't publically employed?  Or would we be paying them unemployment?  Or are they being moved from one state category to another?

Some studies have shown that tracking and tracing can have a positive effect on the spread of this virus.  That's the only context I know right now.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops   "What skill level is required for the work?"

It's different in each state/county/township.  In N.J. you take an 18 hr online course & testing.  By the time you are done you will you will become an expert in Covid-19 & how to "deal & talk" w/all types of people.

You will need to go to your State/County/Township Tracing website for info.

In N.J. the pay starts @ $26/hr.  At least in my township that is the minimum starting pay.  The township I live in has done tracing/tracking since the very beginning of the virus.  The tracers were/are "healcare providers" initially.   If you have "health" experience, the pay is much more.  My township is looking for an additional 1200 tracers - no experience necessary.  You need to pass all the online time consumming tests. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

The governor had said the covid tracers would be members of the national gaurd. I don't know if that has changed or not.

The contact tracer is suppose to contact of the patients recent contacts and inform them of the exposure to covid and how to quarantine.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Salary, payroll taxes and benefits add up.

$25/hour base salary, plus payroll taxes paid by the employer/state and benefits x 2080 (hours worked in a year) x 750 employees is a lot of money say $14M.

Then you have equipment if all these new people need a laptop, software, training materials, etc.

It adds up.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMacThank you for that info.   I'm very much in favor of tracking/tracing as a concept.  Just had never seen much on how it might work.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@millieshops   "What skill level is required for the work?"

It's different in each state/county/township.  In N.J. you take an 18 hr online course & testing.  By the time you are done you will you will become an expert in Covid-19 & how to "deal & talk" w/all types of people.

You will need to go to your State/County/Township Tracing website for info.

In N.J. the pay starts @ $26/hr.  At least in my township that is the minimum starting pay.  The township I live in has done tracing/tracking since the very beginning of the virus.  The tracers were/are "healcare providers" initially.   If you have "health" experience, the pay is much more.  My township is looking for an additional 1200 tracers - no experience necessary.  You need to pass all the online time consumming tests. 

@Mz iMac   In many places special language skills will be required.  For instance CoVi19 is epidemic on the Navajo Nation where many people speak only Navajo, a very complicated language rarely spoken by outsiders.  The area is also extremely remote and challenging to navigate.  I shudder to think of trying to recruit workers for that project.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment