Esteemed Contributor

I think people just get frustrated. While any death is sad it just is odd when certain deaths are highlighted. Why does breast cancer get so much funding and attention when people die from other cancers? Why do certain police brutality cases get attention while others don't? Why do certain gun deaths get protesters out and others don't? Why do celebrity deaths always get a mention when a life saving nurse doesn't? I am guilty of it myself. I am guess I am just pointing out our own hypocrisy.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I think people just get frustrated. While any death is sad it just is odd when certain deaths are highlighted. Why does breast cancer get so much funding and attention when people die from other cancers? Why do certain police brutality cases get attention while others don't? Why do certain gun deaths get protesters out and others don't? Why do celebrity deaths always get a mention when a life saving nurse doesn't? I am guilty of it myself. I am guess I am just pointing out our own hypocrisy.

@Nancy Drew  Your observations, across the board, are spot on... Have often wondered, too, about the issue you raise about research and funding for some conditions versus others... As for highlighting certain deaths and minimizing others, I'd add to the list that crimes among one another resulting in murder seem not to get much attention among some groups, while introducing a third party, shall we say, takes it to a whole other level... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

See the source image

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Covid Deaths.

[ Edited ]

I can't believe the "But what about..." direction this thread is taking. On the other hand, I guess I should not surprised.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac   I read obits and yes, I'm old.  I read them online because our local newspaper comes once a week.  Yep, once a week. If no one calls and tells you so and so died by the time you see it the local rag the person has been buried. If you wanted to go to the viewing/funeral it is too late.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I can't believe the "But what about..." direction this thread is taking. On the other hand, I guess I should not surprised.

I've always believed that when someone has to resort to whataboutism, they've already lost the argument as they have nothing relevant to say about the topic at hand.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I can stay on topic. Yes it is sad about the OP's Corona death. We can all chime in on how sad it is. Then the thread will peter out. Or we can continue to evolve and discuss and or debate related subjects. I find when people complain about what about ism it's because a hypocrisy has been pointed out and that makes them uncomfortable.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Trusted Contributor

All deaths matter.

All diseases matter.

It's wrong that some deaths get reported in the news and others don't and it's wrong that some diseases get more charity funding.

It's wrong that some people get outraged about certain injustices because we shoud get outraged about all the other injustices too.

Having typed this, I now need a mental health moment to recover.  Lol

Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I can stay on topic. Yes it is sad about the OP's Corona death. We can all chime in on how sad it is. Then the thread will peter out. Or we can continue to evolve and discuss and or debate related subjects. I find when people complain about what about ism it's because a hypocrisy has been pointed out and that makes them uncomfortable.

That's one way to look at it, @Nancy Drew 

The way I look at it is that those who start the whataboutisms are uncomfortable thinking about the original point and topic.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@Nancy Drew   My mom is in a nursing facility and is in the last stages of Alzheimer’s, if she passes away and has tested positive for Covid, then I’m sure that’s what they’ll list as her cause of death. IMO the cause of death by Alzheimer’s disease does not fit their agenda right now. Now, I am fully aware that an actual diagnosis of Alzheimer’s can only be confirmed with an autopsy after death. 

I totally get what you’re saying.