Honored Contributor

In my local paper obits, there was a death notice for an older woman and it was Covid related. Right next to it was her daughter in law's obit, also Covid. In the 
DIL's obit it was mentioned that the older lady's son was in the hospital fighting Covid. That is one sad story. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Long ago when I was first married, we walked around a very old cemetery, I think in Connecticut.

I noticed six identical head stones and they were a mother and five kids. All dead within a week or so.

This type of thing was not supposed to happen anymore.

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

In my local paper obits, there was a death notice for an older woman and it was Covid related. Right next to it was her daughter in law's obit, also Covid. In the 
DIL's obit it was mentioned that the older lady's son was in the hospital fighting Covid. That is one sad story. 

One of many sad stories. 

Honored Contributor

You know you getting old when you start reading obits. Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

You know you getting old when you start reading obits. Smiley Tongue

@Mz iMac , In a small town, it is likely you will know  the deceased or their families.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I've read the obits as long as I can remember

these days quite a few mention Covid

and more than usual mention suicide

Trusted Contributor

I too have read obituaries for as long as I can remember.  I taught history for many years and find obits can be great stories about the lives of those who've passed.  Sometimes, though, they're hard to read.  I live in NY and the saddest obituaries were those right after 9/11.  There were dozens and dozens listed in the paper every single day for months.  Many tears were shed.  More recently, we were hit hard with Covid and yes again, there were numerous obituaries of people who passed from it.  The worst thing this time around was there were no wakes or funerals for the families and friends.  Most said something like, "Memorial service at a future date."  My heart breaks for all the families who have suffered such loss. 

Esteemed Contributor

There are lots of sad stories out there that have nothing to do with Covid.  Look at the children murdered last weekend.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Of course, any child killed by anyone is a horrible thing.

But that taken, it is still sad to see someone dying of this virus.  And obituaries have become more important where I live, where traditional services of any kind are prohibited because of this virus.  Many people choose to plan a memorial service far into the future to honor their loved one who has died.  My DIL’s mother died not long ago, and a memorial service in honor of her life will be held at some point in the future.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Long ago when I was first married, we walked around a very old cemetery, I think in Connecticut.

I noticed six identical head stones and they were a mother and five kids. All dead within a week or so.

This type of thing was not supposed to happen anymore.

We visited Lexington and Concord a couple of years ago, and in a cemetery in Lexington, there were families with multiple children that died one after another after another in the matter of days/weeks. Five and six children. 

Some historical accounts from that area showed that families during some epidemic lost multiple children like that and went on to have entire new families of up to nine more children. 

I too thought we, at least in this country, were past that type of thing. Sad then, sad now.