Super Contributor

Re: Court Appearance of Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman

"Will Macy actually looks better" I agree! ROTFLMAO
Super Contributor

Daisy: 'Unhappy Huffman' is what it looks like!!!!
Respected Contributor

Heard there are over 300 wealthy parents involved and the guy that helped them gave all his info to the court. He will be doing some jail time too but this has been going on for years. I also feel the colleges are guilty too accepting the money. DH said if they used this money as a charity write off then it is more of an issue too. Tax fraud. Everyday we hear more & more. Lori has lost her job at Hallmark & Fuller house, think her husband's designer clothes at target may suffer, the girls quit college, one lost her Sephora job. Wonder how many more are on the list. 

Super Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

They are charged with fraud and you don't understand why the FBI was involved?

I think this is about sending a message.  I don't think so many FBI agents were necessary--with guns drawn.  They were not going after a murderer.  It seems excessive.  Felicity Huffman doesn't seem like a flight risk.  I am a little surprised they didn't give her the opportunity to turn herself in.  In Lori Loughlin's case, they clearly weren't worried.  She was already out of the country and given the chance to turn herself in.  

As for the FBI being involved in fraud, they were right to go after Rick Singer.  He took all the money and set up the dirty deeds.  I am hoping their response was proportional.  Felicity Huffman is charged with paying $15,000 to change answers on a test.  Rick Singer is charged with accepting about $26 mil.  If $15,000 is worth 7 gun wielding FBI agents, $26 mil should be worth an entire army.  Maybe this is the government's way of getting a little more punishment in in case they strike a plea deal.  

On my local news tonight, a Canadian business man has pleaded not guilty to his charges.  He paid Singer $200,000 to have someone take a high school exam for his son, and the SAT (if the news report was correct).  His son attended UC Berkeley and has already graduated.  

On a related note, well known and wealthy celebrities and sports figures are now tweeting that they worked with Singer to get their children into school.  All deny any wrong doing, saying their children got in due to their hard work.  It sounds like he was the go-to guy.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wonder if FH wondered why her husband wasn't arrested, too.

Honored Contributor

@GraceLady wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

I think this is about sending a message.  I don't think so many FBI agents were necessary--with guns drawn.  They were not going after a murderer.  It seems excessive.  Felicity Huffman doesn't seem like a flight risk.  I am a little surprised they didn't give her the opportunity to turn herself in.  In Lori Loughlin's case, they clearly weren't worried.  She was already out of the country and given the chance to turn herself in.  

@GraceLady and @SydneyH - Yes, @GraceLady, you said  exactly what I meant. I certainly understand why the FBI was involved, but I thought 7 agents with guns drawn was a little excessive. 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@GraceLady wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@GraceLady and @SydneyH - Yes, @GraceLady, you said  exactly what I meant. I certainly understand why the FBI was involved, but I thought 7 agents with guns drawn was a little excessive. 

Well if a person will go that far to get an unqualified child into an institution, I surely wouldn't be rolling up their residence unarmed, you just don't or will ever know how far someone will go when the gig is up imo.

Trusted Contributor

These cases help bust the myth that college entrance is objective and based on meritocracy.  I hope the justice they receive is equivalent to that meted out to parents in low-income communities that lied about their residence in order to enroll their children in better resourced school districts.  I would love if a judge required each defendant, if found guilty, to pay the costs for a poor student to attend whatever postsecondary education she/he desired.

Respected Contributor

@pommom wrote:

Lori's daughters have dropped out of USC.  They do not want to go back to school for obvious reasons.  This according to TMZ.

This is a sad situation all the way around.  My concern is for the kids.  They are going to need professional help.

The parents?  No so much.  They knew what they were doing.

The kids knew what they were doing also. I doubt a lifetime of "professional help" would get them over their sense of entitlement. 

Respected Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

I looked up body language and crossed arms. It could mean many things. 

defensiveness, fear/anxiety, insecurities, stress relief, power pose, psychological/physical barrier, etc.

I've seen a lot of that stance lately and it doesn't involve this particular event.  Just watch the news.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~