Honored Contributor

Re: Costco - Free Membership - ever???

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 You've got nerve, I'll say that.

I don't believe you BECAUSE the card MUST be shown upon entering.

Nice try for a story though.

No way would I let a total stranger use my card. IF I believe what you said and I don't.

Honored Contributor

When I lived in PA it was the same way w/wine,etc. Only beer at grocery stores.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids 

yup that's just what I did.  No one checked membership at the door -- I went to courtesy desk they do not do one day pass.  I was willing to pay full price.  (BJs offers 1 day pass)but I asked the guy in front of me -- obviously I wasn't robbing him so it was no big deal to him or me!!

No need to get yourself worked up about it.  Believe it or not, I'd do it again and I'd do the same for someone else!

There isn't any personal data on the membership card, in fact, I do it for others with my Sams card--and omg I give it to them they go shopping & return to me.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Love my grandkids 

yup that's just what I did.  No one checked membership at the door -- I went to courtesy desk they do not do one day pass.  I was willing to pay full price.  (BJs offers 1 day pass)but I asked the guy in front of me -- obviously I wasn't robbing him so it was no big deal to him or me!!

No need to get yourself worked up about it.  Believe it or not, I'd do it again and I'd do the same for someone else!

There isn't any personal data on the membership card, in fact, I do it for others with my Sams card--and omg I give it to them they go shopping & return to me.

You really have some nerve.  And there is personal info in within the card, including the member's name, address, and purchase history.  

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina   Why not just join for a year? See how you like it. Then just do not renew next time your renewal comes up if you are not into it.

DH and I have been Costco members for EVER.  we love it!  I go by myself sometimes....we go together more often for a fun  cheap date😄

We bought a computer online which is great!  

Honored Contributor

Mom lived near Costco and we joined. Kept up the membership. Gas is usually about 20 cents cheaper.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

That's how they make money is by selling memberships, then member get a great discount on goods and services year round.  Why would anyone think they would be entitled to shop there for free.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch 

i wouldn't know as he just ran his card -- a nice guy.

I wouldn't join as there I could really overbuy😮 they certainly have a lot nicer selection than Sams.

That membership I keep since it's our area -- costco isn't. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I've walked in to Costco without showing my card.

The cashier asks for your card before they start ringing you up.

I've always seen employees posted at the doors specifically to check cards as customers walk in. They're pretty strict about it.  And we have to show our cards at the register too.

(It's been the same at every location I've ever been to.  I always assumed it was the same everywhere.  It seems to me that it should be.)

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Our Costco here in Michigan has a gigantic beer,wine,department. Thanks for the update.

The Costco's  here in GA has a huge wine and beer section. BJ's has a beverage center attached to BJ's and in this center you can purchase spirits, bourbon, gin vodka etc. You don't have to have a membership to purchase from this part of BJ's.  The savings on gas at Costco and BJ's is worth the price of the membership fee. And no I would never ever ask somone to let me use their card and I would not let someone that I didn't know use my card.