Honored Contributor

Re: Costco - Free Membership - ever???

I don’t think anyone could get away with using someone else’s card at my Costco. My picture is on it, and I know that the cashiers check it. One commented on my hair being shorter than it was when I had the photo taken.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Love my grandkids 

yup that's just what I did.  No one checked membership at the door -- I went to courtesy desk they do not do one day pass.  I was willing to pay full price.  (BJs offers 1 day pass)but I asked the guy in front of me -- obviously I wasn't robbing him so it was no big deal to him or me!!

No need to get yourself worked up about it.  Believe it or not, I'd do it again and I'd do the same for someone else!

There isn't any personal data on the membership card, in fact, I do it for others with my Sams card--and omg I give it to them they go shopping & return to me.

I think a lot of us are shocked that you would not only do this, but also brag about it.  I just can't imagine asking a stranger to let me take advantage of his or her membership. If someone asked me, that would be a definite no.  

This isn't like a free courtesy card at a supermarket or giving someone extra coupons, which I'm sure many of us have done to help out others.  Why should you get to waltz in and get the benefits of something that everyone else has to pay for?  

The whole point of a club like Costco is that people have the option of whether they want to join or not.   Your choice.  But gaming the system and being proud of it is wrong.

Respected Contributor

Have been a Costco member since the very old days when it started out as Price Club, named for the fellow who founded the warehouse.  You had to actually prove you were a business eligible for membership back then, and I was in real estate, so I got one.

Have since paid for and  held the highest membership level for many years and it has been well worth the renewal price.  

DH and I recently cashed a $431 rebate for our purchases on the Costco credit card, which has been as high as $500-plus at times.  The VISA card can also be used for non-Costco purchases which also are included in the rebate.

Costco offers the best prices around for gasoline and many other things.  Costco provides many home improvement services, which would be high-dollar purchases and increase the annual rebate.

Having been to many different Costcos in Virginia and Georgia, we have always been asked to show our card upon entry to the store.

No one has asked to "borrow" my membership privilege, but if it was for a high-dollar purchase, that would only add to my rebate amount at the end of the year.  Still don't think I'd allow someone else to take advantage of my card, however, even if I might benefit later with a higher rebate.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a bit stunned that a person without a membership would even think about finding a way to buy items from either Costco or Sam's. I pay my annual membership fee to Sam's, and I would never consider letting a total stranger use my card that I've paid for! Buy an annual membership and pay the fee like the rest of us do. Sorry to be harsh, but it's irritating.

Honored Contributor

you do have to be a member to purchase anything from costco. We were members for several years but dropped it this past year. We don’t go by that store any more to far out of the way. We just stay with Sams club which is a lot closer to us and a much cheaper membership costs

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear.  I'm not a Costco member but I have gone there to fill prescriptions.  I just tell the man at the door why I'm there.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

I've walked in to Costco without showing my card.

The cashier asks for your card before they start ringing you up.

I've always seen employees posted at the doors specifically to check cards as customers walk in. They're pretty strict about it.  And we have to show our cards at the register too.

(It's been the same at every location I've ever been to.  I always assumed it was the same everywhere.  It seems to me that it should be.)

Yes, there is always someone posted at the door.  I've gone in there without having my card in my hand.

If someone is going to the pharmacy or to the optical department, they don't have a card to show.

The cashier asks for the card before they start ringing you up.  They are very strict about that.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@jackthebear.  I'm not a Costco member but I have gone there to fill prescriptions.  I just tell the man at the door why I'm there.

yes you can do it for your RX's but that is it. 

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I think I read somwwhere that wine,etc purchases do not require a membership. But I'm not sure.

@Group 5 minus 1  No wine, alcohol sold at my Costco. NY

Nanuet?

only Costco around that has wine is Wayne,  good assortment too,  although I was not as impressed with the Kirkland wines that I tried, but the prices are great on the other wines 

Honored Contributor

there is one door/card checker who must know us as he's been there as long as we have been shopping there   15+ years , he waves us in, but knows we have a card.