Honored Contributor
Some Americans are born into wealth they didn’t earn. Old money from someone generations ago. “American” royalty.
Esteemed Contributor

Is Charles the best person for this role?  Do his values match the majority of the UK public?  How much tax payer money was spent on his marital shenanigans?  I would not want to pay for someone who was not elected.  An accident of birth.  That is how he started.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor
Much of Europe still has royal families. I’m not sure why the British royal family gets all the focus of American disdain.
Esteemed Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Much of Europe still has royal families. I’m not sure why the British royal family gets all the focus of American disdain.

@bikerbabe My feelings go for all royalty.  I don't discriminate there.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Some Americans are born into wealth they didn’t earn. Old money from someone generations ago. “American” royalty.

@bikerbabe yes of course.  Someone years ago earned that money and it was passed down. Generational wealth.  Nothing wrong with that.  But they don't keep earning money from the public just because of who they were born to.

Honored Contributor

In January this year the below was reported on many outlets over there and here.  The Express, Huffington Post all types of print.  That is a lot of money since 1979.

The Prince of Wales's Charitable Fund (PWCF) has just announced it will award £1.95million in grants to seven charities over the next three years. The Fund, established by King Charles, has donated over £73million since it was established in 1979. The chosen seven charities have been selected by Trustees for their enormously important work in the areas of environmental sustainability and social inclusion - two causes close to The King’s heart.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1728611/king-charles-princes-of-wales-charitable-fund-donations

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Chessa35 wrote:

The tens of thousands of taxpayers who lined the streets to watch the Coronation apparently didn't feel that way . 

@Chessa35 

Okay, but what else was there to do that Saturday morning?  For some, it was just entertainment.  

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

I read that the economy is expecting a 1 Billion dollar boost directly related to the coronation.

@Marp 

Unfortunately, that's just an unverifiable guess. 

Same with how much $$ comes in from "tourism".  

In modern times, they've never NOT had a monarchy, so there's nothing to compare it to.  

As far as money spent, I don't think Brits buying tacky souveniers ought to be considered revenue.  JMO, of course.

Respected Contributor

It's amazing that someone has no idea what constitutes revenue to a country during a time of historical significance.

Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

It's amazing that someone has no idea what constitutes revenue to a country during a time of historical significance.

We have a yearly festival in my town started back in the 1930's. Ceased during the WWII years and we did not have it one year during covid.  There is a Queen and all her court with two night of her coronation.  Topped off with floats, parades ect.... Last year this  yearly week long event brought $2.6 million dollars to our town.  Tourism in East Texas cannot compete with the tourism of King Charles' coronation.  Some people just do not want to see the benefits  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."