Honored Contributor

We can go around, again, with this issue pro or con, and this time there is nothing new. 

The post reminding us about the USPS food drive is an important reminder that we can do something in our own neck of the woods. 👍

Hand-wringing about the coronation, once again, does nothing to alleviate  a situation over which we have no control.

We have gone over $ stats, who is paying, how the economy benefits, how people are hurting while the Royals party on etc.

Take some time to find out what you can do here instead of focusing what happens across the pond. 

We can be aware of world hunger and other humane issues but unless one is doing instead of just talking it will not help.

One meal at a time, one dollar at a time, one hour of volunteering at a time -

you are all smart folks. You know what needs to be done.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Which is why I write a check each and every month for the last 20 years to two local food banks in my town.  Not just at Christmas every single month.  It all adds up.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@willomenia wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Well, I have it on good authority ...  from an unnamed source ... that knows a palace insider ... that Camilla and Charles were told Brits were having trouble just keeping food on the table.

Camilla's response:   Let them eat cake.

NO SHE DIDN'T 

@willomenia  It's a joke. Read the post again.

(Marie Antoinette never said it either.)

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Yesterday was " The Big Help Out".

William and Kate attended in support of the Big Help Out along with other senior royals including the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh, the Princess Royal and the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester. 

Prince William, Prince of Wales is helped by Britain's Prince George of Wales (L) as he uses an excavator while taking part in the Big Help Out,

George also got to gave a go, helping his dad with the controls - and it looked like William was enjoying it most

Catherine, Princess of Wales, Britain's Prince Louis of Wales and Britain's Princess Charlotte of Wales help to reset a path.

Prince Louis takes control of a wheelbarrow. Louis also helped fill the barrow. Louis and Charlotte, with the help of mum, poured sand to create a new path.

Prince Louis takes control of a wheelbarrow as he helps his mother, Britain's Catherine, Princess of Wales take part in the Big Help Out in Slough

Princess Charlotte varnished a new door.

Princess Charlotte varnishing a new door

Princess Anne and her husband, Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Lawrence, are at a civic service recognising local volunteers at Gloucester Cathedral, which will be followed by a special reception for invited volunteers and charity representatives from across Gloucestershire. 

Sophie, Duchess of Edinburgh, as a patron of Guide Dogs, is attending a puppy training class at the Guide Dogs Training Centre in Reading with her husband, Prince Edward.

There are over 8 million opportunities to get involved today, with more than 52,000 events happening across the nation.

The 3rd Upton Scouts Hut was built in 1982 and is used by a variety of community groups in the area, including the local mosque, a senior citizens contact group for members of the Asian community and the Scout group themselves. 

The building is also used by ‘Slough All Nations,’ a group with heritage spanning across St. Kitts & Nevis, and which provides recreation and leisure activities to improve health and wellbeing and promote community cohesion.

Among other planned events, the Royal Parks is holding a drop-in session in Green Park in central London, close to Buckingham Palace, where volunteers can plant wild flowers in the same spot where the public laid floral tributes to the late Queen.

The Duke of Gloucester, the late Queen’s first cousin, and his wife Birgitte are meeting young volunteers at a Coronation party at St Mark’s Coptic Orthodox Church in Kensington, west London.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak is helping out at a lunch club, Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer will hit the phones with the NHS Volunteer Responders scheme, Welsh First Minister Mark Drakeford is volunteering at a local charity shop, and Scotland’s First Minister Humza Yousaf is volunteering at a local community larder.

Mr Sunak said: ‘The Big Help Out is not only a chance for everyone to come together to mark His Majesty’s Coronation, it’s also a reminder of how each and every one of us can help make a change for the better.

‘It is this community spirit that binds us and makes us stronger as a country, and I hope that as part of the legacy of this historic moment of national unity, people will be inspired for years to volunteer, to help out and to make a difference to others around them.’

The senior royals, celebrities and leading politicians will join an estimated 6 million Britons who say they are planning to get involved in the Big Help Out, according to a recent poll.

Organised by the Together Coalition and other organisations including faith groups, the Scouts and the Royal Voluntary Service, the Big Help Out aims to pay tribute to King Charles’ decades of public service and create a lasting legacy of volunteering from the first crowning of a British monarch in 70 years.

More than 33,000 organisations have signed up to take part in the initiative, with volunteering opportunities available through the launch of a new app.

Among the scheme’s backers are some of country’s best-known charities, including the NSPCC, RSPCA, the National Trust, the RNLI and the British Red Cross.

And more than 1,000 businesses have thrown their weight behind the scheme, including BT, British Airways, John Lewis, McVities, PWC and NextDoor, among others.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Well then, the money spent on the Olympics, New Years celebrations, professional football, baseball, hockey, the millions paid to those athletes...should be redirected to the poor. Really, what makes Tom Brady or Tom Cruise worth millions, while the Coronation of the King of England isn't? 

Tom Brady and Tom Cruise WORKED THEIR WHOLE LIVES to get to a position where they are paid what they are worth, what the market will bear.  Charles was born.  I don't have a beef with what they spent on the coronation or any other event.  I have a beef with the fact that a person is BORN INTO ROYALTY.  THEY DID NOTHING TO EARN THAT POSITION AND INSTANT WEALTH.  They are instantly deemed better than everyone else.  I realize that the royal familiy does bring in tourism dollars to the UK.  Is it worth it overall?  I don't know.  Many britts do not think so, including one in the states that I personally know.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

We all have charities, organizations we support. In the US there are agencies to counter poverty. Medicaid covers more services than the insurance that many who pay premiums do. Welfare, food stamps, section 8...all benefit those who are below the poverty line. We pay taxes that fund all of these..

There are private organizations, churches, food banks, Salvation Army Good Will...that benefit the poor. Yet, we are shamed for how we spend  the money we have earned, inherited, won. We are expected to give more, enjoy less.

We aren't meant to feel pleased about anything that costs millions unless it benefits everyone.

Well my donations go to benefit animals, they can't help themselves and are mistreated, in homes,on farms, in streets and hunted down in their habitats every minute of every hour of every day. 

Respected Contributor

Perhaps those in the United States distressed and disturbed by the burden on the British taxpayers could send a check to a Coronation Planning Committee to help defray the cost.

I'm sure that's a possibility. 

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips 

Apparently, you know nothing of King Charles life. 

Honored Contributor

It is naiive to think that people who work maybe 2 jobs and buy very little, with children or not are not also poor and living from paycheck to paycheck if they have one and hopefully don't ever get sick or hospitalized with an 80/20 insurance and high deductables.

Something just doesn't work.

Poor doesn't just mean homeless and no money at all.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Puppy Lips 

Apparently, you know nothing of King Charles life. 

@occasionalrain Of course I know of his life.  I know he is busy with events and charities and whatnot.  My question is why him?  What did he do to deserve his massive wealth and privilge?  Oh yeah, he was born.  Well, we were all born.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead