Honored Contributor

Obviously the millions of people who watched the coronation on tv disagree.  The 20k people are the concert and the millions who watched on tv disagree.  The millions who hosted and enjoyed their local big lunch celebrations disagree as do the millions who participated and benefitted from yesterday's day of volunteering and giving back.

Esteemed Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

Since we're on the subject of poverty, let's not forget that Sat. May 13 is Fill a Bag day for nonperishable  food collection by USPS. Put those bags of food you've purchased by your mailbox for postal workers to pick up. It's then distributed to local food banks. I think post offices also havae collection barrels at their locations.

@catter70  Thanks for this reminder! I checked with our local PO just to make sure, and they are participating. Now I need to remember to put out the food on Saturday. 

Honored Contributor

At a time when the world feels like it is spinning out of control, some find solace in ritual and tradition.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

The coronation brought a lot of $ into England, including increased revenues for those running restaurants, taxis, hotels, souvenier shops, tour guides, stores, markets, etc...

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

It is the same with sports, entertainment, politicians especially when considering budget decisions, there is "not enough money" to support essential things but always enough money to build a stadium etc.

I know others feel differently.

I guess I wish everywhere could adopt the same type of running things as Finland and New Zealand the happiest countries in the world where everyone is considered worthy and important enough to have the basic necessities of life.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

The holiday on Monday also added to the economic stimulus enormously. 

In the scheme of things, the direct costs to the taxpayers are miniscule relative to impact on the nation's economy.

Honored Contributor

I bet those in poverty in any country-the benefit to the "nations economy"

does not again include them to any even miniscule degree.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

People who give up hours out of their lives  working, limit themselves to the children they can afford, plan meals to stay within their buget... are every bit as important as those who are poor.

They deserve to be rewarded with what they enjoy because they earned it. The Coronation was important to many, including me. Britains waited hours in the rain for it. For it to be insulted is, in effect, insulting all those who don't find it silly, antiquated, a waste of money...

Honored Contributor

I'm sure people for the thousands of years there have been elaborate coronations have thought the same thing.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Well then, the money spent on the Olympics, New Years celebrations, professional football, baseball, hockey, the millions paid to those athletes...should be redirected to the poor. Really, what makes Tom Brady or Tom Cruise worth millions, while the Coronation of the King of England isn't? 

Well put! 👍🏻