Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom  I am in the middle of the exact same project and I feel your pain and I do not think you were unreasonable.

I went with a "Kitchen & Bath" place because they did both floors and countertops and supplied the plumber to remove and replace the two toilets.

I also researched them extensively in BBB, all the "review" forums as well as recommendations from people in my development who used them.

Like you, I was very concerned about my hard wood floors and my brand new oven/glass top stove of about a month.

The sales person assured me that they would put stuff down to protect my floors, etc. and the project manager (and I) took photos before they moved the equipment.

The countertop people were outsourced, but the flooring/plumber team were employees of the company.

The countertop people did not bring anything to protect my floors, but the flooring people took care of that since they were there at the same time.

As for the bathroom situation, that needs it's own thread ;o)  But I have been trying to either keep them to one bathroom or keep them out of one bathroom while they are here.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

There was a thread about a similar bathroom incident concerning workers in the home.  It was amazing to me the number of people who prohibited workers from using their bathroom.  If you gotta go, you gotta go.  You cannot always time bathroom visits to a schedule.  Leave this one alone.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Re: Contractor Problems

[ Edited ]

I go along with that. Can't expect people that's gonna spend the day at a house not to have to go to bathroom. Turn on exhaust fan.

(hope he didn't have flu)   Keep bleach on hand

Respected Contributor

I had a problem with a contractor and he refused to make good. I contacted the Better Business Bureau to put in a complaint. When the complaint went up the contractor was here so fast to fix the problem I could not believe it. They do not want a bad review on the BBB's website. I always check the BBB before I hire someone. 

Esteemed Contributor

We have had quite a bit done in our home of late.  We are seniors in our original home and preparing for eventual resale.  Our kitchen and two and a half bathrooms were remodeled.  Whew!  Won’t begin to tell you how long this took, but in our area no one wants to buy a home that is not current.

Yes, you can do your homework.  We did.  Our main issues arose from one subcontractor the company hired, which these companies all do.  He not only failed to do his job, he did some real damage.  So the company fired him, and they had to repair the damage and then continue the job.  

End of story, everything is now done.  To our satisfaction.  It is exhausting, and doing your homework does not prevent all problems, sorry to say.  

Respected Contributor

Thank you all so much for taking the time to write to me Heart  I read them all out loud for DH=Dennis and he is grateful also!  We have and will take all your suggestions and use them and let you know the end result.

Happy and safe remodeling to all who have these kind of jobs in your future!

Cathy aka Jackhound Mom

Respected Contributor

We looked to see if this company belonged to the BBB and they do not.  If they don't belong we can not file a complaint, right?

Thanks again!  To the kind poster who gave us the "heads up" about Home Depot carpet deals.  I only wish we had money saved up for this but the counters shot our wad.  Maybe by next year we can take advantage of that Woman Very Happy

I sympathize with those of you who are also having projects done.  It is very stressful and worse if you are older and have some health problems.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Cathy

Trusted Contributor

i had a problem with a plumbing contractor.  they sent akid who did not know what he was doing and he broke the toilet.  he tied to sell me a repalce at acost of over $550.oo plus the cost to install.  i had put the cost n a credit card and file a dispute with them.  needless to say i won and did not have to pay for the work. it took my making a log and then also filing a complaint with te bbb(they did nothing) and with the div of con  protection.

the company really hassled me.  they told me that they would ruin my credit( fico of 730),that i was dishonest in not paying my bills.  it was a nightmare.

Respected Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

We looked to see if this company belonged to the BBB and they do not.  If they don't belong we can not file a complaint, right? ...

@Jackhound Mom, you should be able to file a complaint on Yelp.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jackhound Mom  Of course you can file a complaint against ANY company! The BBB is there to protect consumers. They keep records on all kinds of businesses . . . it doesn't matter if they are members of not. Just because a company pays dues to the BBB does not insure they will have a good rating! A good rating is earned by the reviews of satisfied customers comments. Contact the BBB with both good and bad comments. They need to know both situations about any and all companies. And, in the future, always check with the BBB before doing business with any company or contractor. They will provide you valuable insight. If you need some recommendations, the BBB will also be happy to give you that kind of information. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.