Honored Contributor

@ID2

maybe I read the post wrong but the poster did not use Lowe's.

I've used Lowe's for minor projects or HD and have found both stores stand behind the contractors they sub-contract with.  I never had a problem.

I think this was a private contractor & poster was referring to Lowe's as a price comparison.

Honored Contributor

I had a problem with a contractor I hired to do some wood repair work and install a new door, entry flooring.  This was the first real repairs I had to have done to my townhouse.

This was before the internet.

Prime contractor ghosted me, subcontractor said it was prime contractor's problem to fix. 

BBB did nothing.

I got a referral from a neighbor who owns his own home plus several rental properties in our neighborhood.  The people he sent only did half the job and didn't finish.  He kept promising it would get finished for almost a  year.  I ended up having to hire someone else to finish.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

just wanted to say thanks for your military service. We too are retired military 20 yrs for us .

Every job we have had done on house we save for each installion. 

Respected Contributor

I always keep a deodorant spray in the bathroom.  I like Citrus Magic. There are different ones but orange is my favorite. It actually gets rid of odors and leaves a fresh-cut orange scent.

So if someone leaves a bad smell in the bathroom, it would be easy to get rid of it.

Trusted Contributor

I don't know what state you live in, but in Arizona we have a Registrar of Contractors whose sole purpose is to protect the public from contractors. If a contractor here does a bad job or damages something in the course of doing his job, and does not agree to pay for the damage, then you can go to the Registrar and he will come out and take a look at the damage and have the contractor fix it within a specified time period (I think it is about two weeks). The Registrar can pull the contractor's license and shut down his work if he does not comply. The Registrar also has a fund to pay damages if the contraactor goes out of business or refuses to pay or fix whatever he did incorrectly. You might check out what your state provides.Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

just wanted to say thanks for your military service. We too are retired military 20 yrs for us .

Every job we have had done on house we save for each installion. 

@viva923Thank you for your service also!  You are our family!

Please forgive me for not personally thanking everyone who has given us such great answers!  I will check back after breakfast.

Respected Contributor

@RealtyGal2 wrote:

I don't know what state you live in, but in Arizona we have a Registrar of Contractors whose sole purpose is to protect the public from contractors. If a contractor here does a bad job or damages something in the course of doing his job, and does not agree to pay for the damage, then you can go to the Registrar and he will come out and take a look at the damage and have the contractor fix it within a specified time period (I think it is about two weeks). The Registrar can pull the contractor's license and shut down his work if he does not comply. The Registrar also has a fund to pay damages if the contraactor goes out of business or refuses to pay or fix whatever he did incorrectly. You might check out what your state provides.Smiley Happy

@RealtyGal2Yes we are in AZ!  We had never heard of that in any other state that we lived in but DH looked them up and we will write to them and if possable send photos and contract and our paid in full reciepts.  Thank you!

Respected Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

This is long...

We bought an older home 4 months ago in a city that we had lived in before so we knew several neighbors and contractor companies.

The company I'm writing about does flooring & counter tops.  They completed a large tile floor job for us last month and the sub contractor they hired did an excellent job.

Whenever we have a job done we provide a cooler full of assorted drinks and stay completly out of their way.  We also either buy lunch for everyone or give a small tip as an added form of gratitude.

Because we have limited funds (retired military) we save up for one job at a time.  We did choose one of the 2 lowest price granites.

Many things went wrong the day of the installation but bottom line they didn't bring drop cloths to protect the new floors which we requested before install, broke my 4 month old Delta faucet, and one of the guys took a very long smelly break in my bathroom!

When I called to complain the owner accused me of being unreasonable.  Told me I was trying to get money off my bill, and lied about their compitition (Lowe's) which they also install for about a manditory bathroom break policy for all contractors.  He also insulted me for buying their cheapest product!

I reminded him that we had not asked him for one thin dime off of our bill and that we gladly paid for our floors!  We will now find another company to do our carpet job that we are saving for.

Thank you for letting me vent and I would appreciate your views on the bathroom issue.  Most of my friends do not have a problem with contractors doing so.  But some are like me.   

I've learned through the years to always stay around and keep an eye out for what's going on. I ask for their "game plan" before they start. I have no problem with asking questions about things as they are working. I keep out of their way but I keep a watchful eye Smiley Wink They don't like it...too Bad!! It's my house.

I prepare the room where the work is being done as much as I can. I will cover all areas that need protected. I never assume anything. If they bring their own, fine ...we can use them too.

This isn't my first rodeo ~