How?  How do they go up against Russia?

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Trusted Contributor

When ever Russia begins to get aggressive, I'm reminded of the following:

Niemöller’s Famous Statement from WWII

“In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I

wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because

I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up

because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't

speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no

one was left to speak up.”

--Martin Niemöller, 1945

Honored Contributor

@Zooky wrote:

When ever Russia begins to get aggressive, I'm reminded of the following:

Niemöller’s Famous Statement from WWII

“In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I

wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because

I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up

because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't

speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no

one was left to speak up.”

--Martin Niemöller, 1945

I've never forgotten that, either.

Honored Contributor

IMO the dilemma is always the same:

How to be compassionate and help others without sending our young people to die in yet another confrontation?

One advancement helps, air power.  But Russia makes it a different can of worms.

Honored Contributor

By 'folks at the top', I didn't mean to single out any one 'top' person.  I'm sure there are many strategic and other advisors, etc. who are trying to figure it all out, what to do and not do.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

Russian war planes are active there and are shooting down American drones.

Moscow said its warships fired a barrage of missiles at Syrian insurgents from the Caspian Sea, a sign of its new military reach.

Do you have a source for this? Everything I'm finding says that Russian planes are "intercepting" or "getting close to" US drones, but I can't find any source that says the Russians have shot any drones.

Here's one I find now, I haven't saved all the sources.  Fox is saying they "intercepted our drones."

EXCLUSIVE: Russian jets 'intercept' US predator drones over Syria, officials say

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/10/07/exclusive-russian-jets-intercept-us-predator-drones-over-syr...

The link takes me to a story that includes this sentence

"The Russians have not attempted to shoot down any of the U.S. drones, but instead have flown "intercept tracks," a doctrinal term meaning the Russians flew close enough to make their presence felt, according to one official."

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

By 'folks at the top', I didn't mean to single out any one 'top' person.  I'm sure there are many strategic and other advisors, etc. who are trying to figure it all out, what to do and not do.

Yes, many.

And there's always the fear of the domino effect.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

Russian war planes are active there and are shooting down American drones.

Moscow said its warships fired a barrage of missiles at Syrian insurgents from the Caspian Sea, a sign of its new military reach.

Do you have a source for this? Everything I'm finding says that Russian planes are "intercepting" or "getting close to" US drones, but I can't find any source that says the Russians have shot any drones.

Here's one I find now, I haven't saved all the sources.  Fox is saying they "intercepted our drones."

EXCLUSIVE: Russian jets 'intercept' US predator drones over Syria, officials say

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/10/07/exclusive-russian-jets-intercept-us-predator-drones-over-syr...

The link takes me to a story that includes this sentence

"The Russians have not attempted to shoot down any of the U.S. drones, but instead have flown "intercept tracks," a doctrinal term meaning the Russians flew close enough to make their presence felt, according to one official."

SEE EDIT ON OPENING POST, including a Thank You to you.

Honored Contributor

I am concerned also, putin really wants control,and backs the leader , both worry me,but do not want our boys going over there to fight on the ground.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@straykatz wrote:

Why do we have to be or think we can be the savior of every country is crisis?  

I don't think we do.  That certainly hasn't been true for numerous countries, including in Africa.

But, speaking of history as ROMARY has been, during WW2 we turned away a ship of Jewish refugees looking for asylum.  Over 900 if I remember correctly.  Many children.

Almost every single one of them were captured and killed in the Holocaust. 

America has a guilty conscience.

======================================================

America has no reason to have a guilty conscience.  So many countries during World War II, Switzerland for one did nothing for no one, the same is true for the Scandinavian countries with the small exception of Denmark.  Where is their guilty conscious?  And yet we went into Europe to help the English and French and the Jews when really it was Japan that attacked us and that is the only country that did.  Germany did not attack America at Pearl Harbor.  Still we lost thousands upon thousands, upon thousands of young men fighting for the liberation of Europe and the Jews.  America has nothing to feel guilty over World War II.  

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi