Respected Contributor

How does everyone feel about having company staying over at their home for several days?  I look forward to company, but I also look forward to them leaving so I can get back to my normal routine.

I have a family member who comes and visits quite often.  He's gone thru a rough patch and came down to stay with me for several days.  His habits and interests are the opposite of mine.  He doesn't say much, expects meals, goes to bed at 8pm and is up at 4am roaming around the house.  I don't know, I love my family member but its a lot of work for me.  I also know we won't be around that much longer so I try and go with the flow.

How does everyone else feel?  We were never close growing up, so he's not someone I'm extremely close to even if he is family.  Always seems my house is a wreck in some way when he leaves and I spend the entire day fixing things and washing things and cleaning things and straightening up.  I'm guessing this is a normal way for some people to feel when they are used to being by themselves. 

I live in sort of a vacation spot area and thats why he decides to come here often.  I don't think its for my company, I think its just because he's bored.  Woman Surprised

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

Personally I do not like being a guest or having a guest.  I feel out of place at someone else's house and if someone was at my house I feel as though I have to entertain them.

But, I have a small family who lives pretty close so there is no need for them to stay.  And, I have a small home w/o any extra bedrooms.

Respected Contributor

When I was single and had a single girlfriend come and stay it was fun but being married changes that.  I hate having to worry about feeding people for days and entertaining them.   I also don't want to go stay with someone and put them out.  My neighbor has constant company that stays for a few days to a week with dogs etc....  I definitely think if you live in an area like close to Disney land or the beach etc. you get more company.

Respected Contributor

No way.

Honored Contributor

Fish and company start to stink after a couple of days. 

I'd spell out how long he could stay - 2 days? - before he came. 

Esteemed Contributor

I do not like being or having house guests. 

Honored Contributor

I admit that I don't enjoy either having people staying over or staying over at someone's home.  It just isn't comfortable for me.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Company - Staying Over

[ Edited ]

@jellyBEAN : your family member is clearly not there for love of you. it's for love of himself. Does he ever offer to reciprocate? Take you out for dinners? (of course not).

He can not make you miserable without your permission. He was NOT invited- he informed you he was coming. His "rough patch" is his excuse/ story and NOT your problem to fix!

If it were me, I would inform HIM that I was no longer able to accommodate him in my home for his visit. No need for an expplanation.There would be not a word of apology from me. His behaviors brought this on himself: an inconsiderate, selfish guest. He might be angry or give you a sob story- or both. Rehearse and repeat your statement and cut the call short. 

Call so that you are sure he got your message. People can and do deny receiving messages by email or text.

I would tell him before the sun sets today. You will fell a lot better the sooner you do this. Trust me and let us know the result.

Trusted Contributor

Wow I thought I was going to be in the minority. When i visit, I stay at a hotel.  I like my own space.  When people come here I prefer them to come for the day or evening and then stay at a hotel.

I don't like intruding on other people and while I love to entertain, I also want people to leave at the end of the day.  I don't think its rude, I just think its my preferance. 

The exception to this is my daughter and her hubby.  However they don;t live that far so the only time they stay is if it is very late or if we have all been drinking which doesn;t happen often but on the rare occasion it does, they just crash at my house.

Honored Contributor

He's using you and you are allowing it to happen.