Respected Contributor

Re: Comfort Pets?

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

A couple of years ago my husband had to travel to Florida for training on new equipment.

The Westminster dog show was taking place and when he got to his seat, in the seat next to his was a large dog.

He is afraid of dogs, was bit in the face when he was a kid and told the attendant either the dog had to be moved or he had to have his seat changed.

The owner, who was in another row, became indignant when the dog was moved.

I'm not afraid of dogs, but I'm sure I wouldn't want one as a seat mate on a 3 hour flight.

What? The dog was sitting in the seat by itself? I thought unless the dog (a regular dog) can fit in a carrier underneath the seat they are not allowed into the cabin. I thought it was a FAA regulation for passenger flights. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Super Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Brinklii wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

I feel all these therapy pet claims are a load of cr@p!

@colliegirls ... I respectfully disagree. My friend lives alone. She has an emotional support pet due to her major depression. She takes several medications for depression, and they have changed her medications around many times. The medications alone are not enough to lift her depression. Some people have treatment-resistant depression. However, the love of a cat relieves much of her depression and anxiety. She does much better when she has her pet around. She registered her cat as an emotional support pet so that she could have it with her in senior housing. As it turns out, the pet can also fly free with her if she chooses.

People cannot just register any pet as an emotional support pet. They need a letter from a psychiatrist stating that the person is under their care and needs this pet in addition to other treatment modalities.

If you see my post (#35) you will see the rules regarding emotional support pets. Having an emotional support pet does not LEGALLY allow the person to bring the pet into restaurants, theatres, stores, etc. Only actual SERVICE dogs (e.g. for the blind) are allowed in those places.  However, it is up to the store, theatre, etc. if they so choose to allow the pet in. The person must have the registration of the pet with them. My friend never takes her pet anywhere outside of her apartment.

You don't understand - many people go online - get the vest and then LIE and say the pet is something they are not.

@151949 ... The problem is that the stores, theatres, restaurants do not know the rules. I helped my friend register her cat as an Emotional Support Animal (as my friend does not have a computer).  They are not required to have a vest for the animal, but I suppose the dog owners who want to cheat get one. Anyone can register their pet online (for a fee). However, owners of Emotional Support Animals are required by law to have the original letter from their psychiatrist (on letterhead and signed) and their ESA registration with them at all times at places where they are legally allowed to bring their pets...in their homes and on airlines.

As I mentioned above, stores, restaurants, theatres are not required legally to allow these pets in. SERVICE dogs...yes, but ESA...no. The stores, restaurants, theatres need to learn the laws. If you complain to the manager, maybe they will learn the laws.

What will eventually happen is that the rules will get stiffer ,,, and probably the fees to register the animal will get higher...sad for the people who actually need the animal.

I just wonder how you would know if the animal is a legitimate ESA without asking to see the documentation? It is kind of like disability parking in cars. Some people look like they don't need the disability tag, but they do. There are some people who abuse the tag by using someone else's tag, but a police officer can look that up quickly enough.

@Yardlie I have a friend who also suffers from severe depression and is on medication which has to be changed regularly. She has been hospitalized twice. She had to get documentation from her Psychiatrist to have her cat legally registered as a therapy animal. So many apartments will not allow you to have a pet unless you can prove medical necessity. She certainly does not take her anywhere she goes. You are so right about some people abusing the system just as some people abuse handicap parking. 

Respected Contributor

@glorybe ... The whole thing is very complicated. I never heard of this until my friend brought me an article about it and asked me to help her fill out the application to get her cat registered.

I read that it is against Federal law for people to claim they have a disability and need the animal when they don't.

I doubt it's been challenged enough yet. From what I saw, there is more than one agency online where you can register the animal. That will probably eventually boil down to just one agency ... and higher registration fees.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

SUNALA:  I love those black and white cookies!!!  Yum!!

Honored Contributor

I was reading you have to prove why you need a pet in NO pet housing. The landlord and who knows who else has your detailed mental and physical health history. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Comfort Pets?

[ Edited ]

I see dogs just about everywhere.  Young-ish couples with their dogs in stores, etc.  Actually, though, none of the dogs I've seen 'acted up' at all.  In fact, better behaved than, dare I say, some children.  As long as the dog is clean, I wouldn't mind sitting next to one.  Well, as long as it doesn't ****** or bite, that is.  And of course, I love cats, so if they are in a cage, I wouldn't mind sitting next to one, too.  However, I do understand that many/some folks are allergic, so that's where I'm undecided on/in this subject matter.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

I'd rather have a dog sitting next to me on a plane than a screaming kid or crying baby anywhere near me.

LOL, me too.  We flew all the way to Hawaii next to a family with 3 small children.   They just kept shoving food at them to keep them quiet, a lot of it junk.   Just before we were ready to land one of them got sick.  It was pretty bad.

I am surprised that the dog was allowed to be separate from the owner tho.  I would expect the owner would have to be in control of the animal on a plane just like anywhere else.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

I don't see anything wrong with having a therapy pet or "comfort" pet, but people that do so also need to have consideration for the fact that there are people who are allergic. 

This.  ^  Unfortunately there will always be people that take advantage of anything they can get around.  

Technically my friend's dog would be a comfort dog and not a therapy, but she had no problems getting it certified. She can go anywhere with her, merely because she sleeps better.  Her husband just shakes his head and rolls his eyes over the whole thing.

LOL, I sleep better with my husband home, wonder if I can get him certified?

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Frequent Contributor

Interesting. I never heard of comfort pets before. I think there should be strict and uniform rules about this designation.