Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Boehm CollectorI'm in an HOA community that contracted with Comcast for 10 years.  That contract ends in 2021 -   the HOA across the road from us already moved to a different company last year -  and we already have research going on for ours.   

I don't believe there's a great choice - at least for residential accoiunts.  Over the years I've had AT&T. Bell South, UVerse, and up north Cablevision -  can't say I'd wholeheartedly recommend any of them.  Not even Fios -  my new landlords had Fios installed in their portion of the big house in which I rent -  that lasted all of about 6 or 7 months and they switched to Cablevision.

Wow @millieshops ... we have had Fios for over 2 1/2 years .. both at home and in my office.   We have never had any problems.  

Honored Contributor

@Boehm CollectorI think it all comes down to one's own experience -  I also know people who've had good experience with Fios, but I do know where I rent summers Fios does not offer all the same stations Cablevision does -  I suspect the owners thought they wouldn't miss what they couldn't get with Fios, but they did.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops  ,,so was it the quality of the service or the channels offered by Fios that your landlord was not happy with?  

Respected Contributor

We've had so many issues with Comcast since moving into this house ( 4 years).  With TV and internet (mostly TV).  We're told it's a weak signal from OUTSIDE the house which is their responsibility.  However always told the only way to find out is to open the walls in our finished basement and start looking and for us to hire an electrician.  Our other option in our neighborhood is AT&T but those who have it says they're not that great either.  

Honored Contributor

@Boehm CollectorI'd say it was the channels they offered -- their local news, weather, and traffic is not as complete as Cablevision which partners with Newsday and has access to much more.

I also know that when they were moving in, Cablevision did not have openings on their installation calendar as quickly as Fios did, so they went with Fios thinking it would be okay.  With 5 teenagers in the house, they wanted TV from the get-go.  That was just before Christmas -  shortly after I had returned for the summer, they were already set up to change.  

Occasional Contributor

My senior community had Comcast on contract for 10 years as well.  We dropped them and switched to Atlantic Broadband.  We've only had the service since April 27.  We're getting a lot more for our money than Comcast offered us.  And Comcast has a "shelf" on  data.  One TV with a mediocre box.  No DVR  Internet has to be paid separately if you want it.  and pay extra for modem

Now with Atlantic Broadband I have service for 3 TVS and DVR voice remotes and  faster internet with modem included.  300 stations, including Epix..

We're only paying $20 more for service.

Honored Contributor

i think comcast has some of the best customer service around.

i guess it depends where you live and how reliable the lines are.

they have both good customer service online, over the phone, and in their stores. even using your television to guide you on how to fix problems is a great feature.

i can say that some of the WORST are mediacom and cox.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Boehm CollectorI'd say it was the channels they offered -- their local news, weather, and traffic is not as complete as Cablevision which partners with Newsday and has access to much more.

I also know that when they were moving in, Cablevision did not have openings on their installation calendar as quickly as Fios did, so they went with Fios thinking it would be okay.  With 5 teenagers in the house, they wanted TV from the get-go.  That was just before Christmas -  shortly after I had returned for the summer, they were already set up to change.  

@millieshops  ... I can understand your landlord's reasons for switching to Cablevision under those circumstances.  We actually got more channels once we switched from Comcast to Fios.  But my main reason for switching was because we were having so many problems with Comcast...... outages, etc.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops , I have only had Comcast in the 30+ years in my home so I cant speak to the other options but

When my cable and/or internet go out I call 1-800-COMCAST, of course its automated but a voice comes on and asks is it a prob with cable or internet, It then will say they are checking to see if there are outages in my area, if not it will ask if I want to have a signal sent to reboot from their end, I say yes and that always seems to work. (turn the tv off first). They then ask if you want an automated call back in 20 mins to see if it helped. It always has for me.

Usually it is a prob with the internet but Thurs. morning the main box in my living room tv went out, the 3 other boxes/tv's here were working, strange, so I made the call, they shot a signal to the main box in the living room and that fixed the problem.  HTHs

Honored Contributor

@SeaGalThat exact procedure has worked different times in the past.  I believe it's when the problem is limited.

During these past few weeks, the automated message we get is that there's an outage in the area that will be repaired by ...... -  it's been as short as an hour and as long as 6 hours and the outages have been a few blocks or whole neighborhoods.  

I feel bad for those working at home who depend upon Comcast WIFI to function.  For me. it's annoying, but it would be far worse if Verizon hadn't offered free excess data during the same period Comcast was at its worst.