Trusted Contributor

@zitawins 

I’m in my 70’s and I do not give a rat’s pahtutie what anyone else thinks: YOU shouldn’t either.

We made it this far and to h_ll with them all!

Valued Contributor

Thank you to all who responded! Your support and advice is priceless. I know I'm Okay mentally, but that test threw me. As one poster suggested, just like a "pop" quiz in high school. And numbers to boot!

I guess with five outspoken children, I'll know when I've lost it!

Have a wonderful holiday season. Merry Christmas!

Z

Respected Contributor

I had my "yearly physical" appointment in August.  I've been going to this same Dr. for 20 years.  I found out she turned into a beotch.  No cognitive test given.  I haven't had a physical for 2 years due to the virus.  So, I'm expecting physical.  Nope.  She just sounded like a broken record.  Lose some weight.  I say, I'm having a really hard time.

She says, go do water arobics (again).  I say, no I don't do that (for various reasons).  Then I get the eyeroll.  She says, why, because you'll get your hair wet?  

She didn't order any bloodwork or urinalysis.  I'm due to 2nd pneumonia shot.  Didn't get that.  I had to beg to get an xray of my back because I've been in so much pain.

The next week I went to see my cardiologist.  She informed me that I have a UTI.  That could have turned septic.

I made myself an appointment with an endocronologist.  Found out my thyroid is not functioning correctly and she said it would be very difficult to lost weight.  I also have low Vitamin D.  No wonder I felt cruddy.

I'm now looking for a new doctor who is not dismissive and sarcastic.

So that's my rant on Medicare physicals.

Trusted Contributor

They cognitive tests sometimes don't really measure cognition at all. So many are very stressed being in the dr office, playing mind games can't be easy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

They cognitive tests sometimes don't really measure cognition at all. So many are very stressed being in the dr office, playing mind games can't be easy.

@Duckncover 

Is there a better way to test a person's cognitive state? Seem to me most elder people are the ones that are more prone to having issues, would have been in a few doctor's offices over their many decades of life.

Think Dementia and Alzheimers Disease. Takes certain tests, probably a doctor, to find these very life altering diseases, no.

hckynut(john) 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

They got a lot of nerve about that clock test! There are 7 digital clocks (counting our 2 phones) in our house, compared to only 5 analog clocks.

My DM had to undergo such a test; the clock, etc. Her memory test was 10 items.

If I am not paying attention, I get confused where I parked my car!

With all that you do, I just wouldn't worry about it!

@Harpa 

I use my phone to take a photo of the location marker nearest my car.

When I’m back on board I delete the evidence!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Conversely, just because you can remember 5 words in correct order does not make you a stable genius.

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

They got a lot of nerve about that clock test! There are 7 digital clocks (counting our 2 phones) in our house, compared to only 5 analog clocks.

My DM had to undergo such a test; the clock, etc. Her memory test was 10 items.

If I am not paying attention, I get confused where I parked my car!

With all that you do, I just wouldn't worry about it!

@Harpa 

I use my phone to take a photo of the location marker nearest my car.

When I’m back on board I delete the evidence!

@Drythe 

Good idea!

If I just looked up to note the location marker, I'd be fine!

Most of the time I leave my phone in the car. I'm not one to lug things around too much.

Honored Contributor

@zitawins 

If you lose your keys, that's normal.

If you forget what keys are for, that may be troubling.

I read that years ago and find it simplifies how to differentiate the everyday from a problem.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.