Valued Contributor

I think I flunked my cognitive test at the doctor's yesterday. I was in for a checkup and other issues. Since 70 is way back in my rearview mirror, the nurse asked me a couple questions. Could I remember three words after a pause (I did two) and draw a clock and mark time (that was ok but I got "mark 11:10" wrong).  In my defense, she really wasn't clear about what she wanted.

Anyway, I wanted to tell her I'm really all right mentally! I write books and publish on Kindle; I set up my printer and connected it to the computer; I'm on Instagram; I am developing my new website without help, etc. etc. 

Anyone else have an experience like mine?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cognitive tests

[ Edited ]

@zitawins wrote:

I think I flunked my cognitive test at the doctor's yesterday. I was in for a checkup and other issues. Since 70 is way back in my rearview mirror, the nurse asked me a couple questions. Could I remember three words after a pause (I did two) and draw a clock and mark time (that was ok but I got "mark 11:10" wrong).  In my defense, she really wasn't clear about what she wanted.

Anyway, I wanted to tell her I'm really all right mentally! I write books and publish on Kindle; I set up my printer and connected it to the computer; I'm on Instagram; I am developing my new website without help, etc. etc. 

Anyone else have an experience like mine?

@zitawins   You must have been in for a wellness?  I refuse those tests.  I told them, I will let them know when I am senile.  LOL

Super Contributor

Of course it is unsettling to feel concerned about this.  Your doctor should review ANY results with you.  If s/he has not, do call and ask about it.  Feel free to express your concerns as well.  When my dad had some baseline cognitive testing in NYC one of the questions he was asked was "What borough is Manhattan in?"  His response was "Borough?  I'm from Connecticut.  We don't have boroughs.  I have no idea."  That was "counted" as an "incorrect" response. LOL.   Don't be too exercised about this, but I do encourage you to put a call in to your doctor.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

Were you nervous because you were at the doctor's? When I go I don't even know my name. As long as you are in contact with people and do not have any trouble communicating forget about it. 

Honored Contributor

There are some screening skills I've NEVER been able to do.- "Repeat these 11 digits BACKWARDS from memory".

(You're kidding, right?)

I know how I learn, and I know my deficits. 

Zitawins, stress only makes your "performance" worse. Talk to your doctor, do language based puzzles, learn to play the tuba (my favorite mentall stimulating pastime) and eat the best diet you can.

Esteemed Contributor

My mother took a cognitive test 30 years ago, just before her 70th birthday. She couldn't remember all five words after several minutes and thought her brain was shot. She is now approaching her 100th birthday, still has most of her marbles, but still worries about her cognitive health.

My husband, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease in 2015, thinks he still has all his cognitive abilities intact. He definitely does not. He cannot remember anything that happened more than ten seconds ago, does not know what year it is, who is the President, or how old he is. It's heartbreaking, but one thing I've learned is that aging is a very individual process. It takes more than drawing hands on a clock to determine if someone is developing dementia. 

Esteemed Contributor

@zitawins  Sounds like you were surprised with a 'pop quiz"  and perhaps got a bit anxious.  As far back as high school they freaked me out and I'd go blank.

You write and publish books, connect electronics, on social media and developing a web site, chances are you run rings around the nurse.  You are remarkable with 70 being in your review mirror.  That counts a lot more than forgetting 1 word! Sounds to me that you're more than OK.

Esteemed Contributor

They got a lot of nerve about that clock test! There are 7 digital clocks (counting our 2 phones) in our house, compared to only 5 analog clocks.

My DM had to undergo such a test; the clock, etc. Her memory test was 10 items.

If I am not paying attention, I get confused where I parked my car!

With all that you do, I just wouldn't worry about it!

Respected Contributor

I think it's good to have a cognitive test. Having a baseline in all aspects of our health I view as a good thing. Especially since there are advancements in medicine every day. 

@zitawins, it's understandable that the test took you by surprise. If there were concerns I'm sure it would have been discussed and exercises would have been suggested.

I wonder how long that clock test will be viable. In this digital world, I know someone with a master's degree who is unable to read an analog clock. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think using a clock test would be irrelevant in today's world. They shouldn't use it anymore as it's not important with most everything being digital. I wouldn't even consider the result of such a test. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain