Esteemed Contributor

Do you wash clothes before you donate?  I have five extra large garbage bags full of clothes to donate.  They are in great condition and have been either hanging or folded in my closet but I just don't wear them anymore.  I really don't feel like washing all these clothes, should I?

Respected Contributor

The clothes are clean so I would not worry about washing them again.    

Trusted Contributor

@Biftu 

You can, but if they’re relatively clean, I wouldn’t.

If they go to a thrift shop, people who buy them will wash them before they wear them anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Clothing Donations

[ Edited ]

@Biftu wrote:

Do you wash clothes before you donate?  I have five extra large garbage bags full of clothes to donate.  They are in great condition and have been either hanging or folded in my closet but I just don't wear them anymore.  I really don't feel like washing all these clothes, should I?

Depending on who you are donating them to, some may do their own laundering or extra care of donated items (maybe).  However, most places that take donated clothing prefer they be clean and they will state so.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

No need to wash them again if they are clean.

Esteemed Contributor

I have garments in my closet or drawers that have been worn once.  They may get another wear before they are laundered.  If you can't recall if the items are tag new and if it has been your lifestyle to get a couple of wears out of your garments before laundering, then I'd err on the side of laundering some of them.

You didn't mention ~ so I thought I'd add this part of my perspective as well.  

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I don't put clothes that were worn back into the closet or drawer. They are washed and cleaned before I put them away. So I do not wash the clothing again when I donate the clothing. Maybe they have been hanging in the closet for awhile but I keep the closet door closed so how dirty can the clothing be?

I guess if I were buying thrift store clothing, I would wash the item first. Just to freshen up the item.

Honored Contributor

I don't put worn clothing back in my drawers.  I nearly had a fit when I realized my husband did that---years ago.

I would never donate clothing that I've worn, but didn't wash first.

Trusted Contributor

No, most of them still have their tags attached or have not been worn that much.  

Esteemed Contributor

Some people put tops, jeans and things like that somewhere (before they wash them) because they want to get another wear out of them before they are laundered.  I do it.  They don't necessarily go in a drawer.  I have silk blouses that I can wear at least twice before they go to the dry cleaner.

I wear a pair of jeans and get two wears before I launder them.  Underwear, of course is a different matter.  I know plenty of people who do likewise.  They get at least a second wear before laundering.  Since I don't wash clothes every day, and since I do have garments that get worn more than once before they go to the dry cleaner or go in the washer, they get put somewhere (which is usually my closet).  I don't like to have clothing strown around my bedroom.  I put them away and the next time I reach for it I know where it is.  Kind of like my coats.  Though of course, my coats get worn a lot more than two times before they get dry cleaned.