Honored Contributor

Re: Classrooms are armed with a bucketful of rocks

@cherrywrote:

Thought and prayers are all well and good, but it is long past time for talking  ,we need action..How many more children have to die while people are discussing things?

Carmie  is able to take care of herself. I have heard it many times before...I am not stupid

Yes, I am able to take care of my self..mostly because I have common sense and I am not ruled by emotion.  The best way to protect children is to keep guns and other weapons out of the schools...period.

The schools in my area keep all exterior doors locked at all times.  The classrooms are locked at all times too.  Only the teacher has the key.  The doors must be locked when empty and when students are in them.

The students  are not allowed to carry backpacks or large tote bags in the classes.  They must be kept in the lockers.  

The schools practice lock down drills fairly often.  They are taught how to keep calm and hide when an intruder is  inside of the building and those outside trying to gain access. They are taught how and where to go,  turn off lights, not to open doors to let anyone in even if they know that person, etc.

These procedures do keep kids safe.  But, when a student is the person with a gun or knife hidden in their pocket or under their shirt, they can do damage because of the element of surprise.

The students in FL that were recently attacked were not protected by their school.  The intruder walked right in..why weren’t the doors locked?  There was a whole lot of errors there that exposed those kids needlessly.

The chances of kids getting getting killed by a school intruder is pretty low.  It doesn’t happen often, thank God, but when it does happen it creates high emotions.  

As I said before, the number one killer of kids and teens is a car accident.  33% of car accidents involving teens is alcohol related and they happen more often between the months of April and June...prom and graduation time.

it would be more prudent to stress no drinking and driving, no texting and driving and no exceeding the speed limit and wear your seal belt  than arming kids with a bucket of river rocks.  It would certainly save more lives.

Honored Contributor

Just what else is available to this man?  How would the rest of you protect these kids?  Would you rather just set back and do nothing?  Just hope it never happens, and if it should...????  I couldn't live with that, and it sounds like ,neither could he.  He most likely knows it won't work, but is willing to go againts all odds ,to protect these kids

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

Kudos for the resourcefulness of this school superintendent

http://wnep.com/2018/03/22/superintendent-says-students-are-armed-with-rocks-in-case-of-a-school-sho...

@cherry, are you for real???   I think you have lost your rocks, LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

Yeah right... just shoot the messenger because you don't like the message,  talk to some of the parents that have burried their kids ,because no one has tried to stop this

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom Squirrel Talk, it might be. But, until we defend our schools as we defend our courthouses, airports, sporting events, and places like Independence Hall, people will have to do whatever they can. I've heard of using fire extinguishers for classroom protection. Human depravity will not let any sort of gun control stop it. 

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

Just what else is available to this man?  How would the rest of you protect these kids?  Would you rather just set back and do nothing?  Just hope it never happens, and if it should...????  I couldn't live with that, and it sounds like ,neither could he.  He most likely knows it won't work, but is willing to go againts all odds ,to protect these kids

I think the kids should learn how to run and hide and the superintendent should carry a box of rocks with him so he alone can face the shooter since he wants to protect them.

If he thinks it is such a good idea, he should demonstrate how it works.  I wouldn’t want my loved ones anywhere near this nut.

Honored Contributor

Funny @Carmie  I feel the same way about you...could you out run a gun?  I doubt it

Honored Contributor

Many survivors of mass shootings survived by hiding or pretending to be dead.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

@cherry  The same way you protect passengers on planes.  Restrict access, check things carried in, and have people wear badges and be identified.  Listen to reports and social media for signs of trouble.  Pay security services.  You need to have someone trained on site to deal with an attack of any kind.

It's about keeping dangerous individuals from having access.  Where there is a will there is a way.  If you want to hurt people you will find a way.  If you want to obatin a weapon it is easy in this country.  Or you can make one.  

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

Funny @Carmie  I feel the same way about you...could you out run a gun?  I doubt it

No, I could not out run a bullet. I can’t even  out run a toddler, but I would never stand there like a giant bullseye while trying reach into a bucket to grab a rock, to throw either. 

Dumb, dumb and dumber.

I like you Cherry and you have always been pretty level minded, but this time, I can’t agree with you.  Sorry.

We will just have to agree to disagree.