Honored Contributor

Re: Classrooms are armed with a bucketful of rocks

@Cakers3wrote:

I will also say that nobody knows what he/she would do if staring down at the point of an assault rifle.  Period.

It's very easy to puff bravado on a chat site but it is entirely different when one is caught up in the chaos of an assault.

I realize the bucket of rocks has kicked the bucket, so to speak, but did anyone seriously believe that a 1st grader would have the mind-set to grab a rock and throw it??

As far as having our military in all schools across the nation-should we not also be concerned with the daily deaths of young people by gunfire in the streets?

Everyone is hand-wringing over schools yet nobody is looking at the gun deaths among young people on the streets.

This issue isn't just a school issue; it's a humanity issue no matter where, when, how, and who. 

@Cakers3

There were a number of young people addressing the issue of gun violence in the streets (as well as schools and everywhere else) speaking at the March on Saturday.

Others speak about it, too.  Some speak about it a lot, and a lot of people just turn a deaf ear.

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom

@JustJazzmomwrote:

If there is a need to have guns, what about manufacturing a ‘smart’ gun? So only the owner can use it with either a retinal, fingerprint ID or a special code entered before the gun can operate? If the gun gets stolen, another person cannot use it because that person would need the right fingerprint or code entered to use it. This technology would also prevent children from accidentally discharging the gun too.

Could guns be retrofitted for this kind of technology?

What a great idea! I say let’s do this! (For those who must have guns)

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALotwrote:

@Cakers3wrote:

I will also say that nobody knows what he/she would do if staring down at the point of an assault rifle.  Period.

It's very easy to puff bravado on a chat site but it is entirely different when one is caught up in the chaos of an assault.

I realize the bucket of rocks has kicked the bucket, so to speak, but did anyone seriously believe that a 1st grader would have the mind-set to grab a rock and throw it??

As far as having our military in all schools across the nation-should we not also be concerned with the daily deaths of young people by gunfire in the streets?

Everyone is hand-wringing over schools yet nobody is looking at the gun deaths among young people on the streets.

This issue isn't just a school issue; it's a humanity issue no matter where, when, how, and who. 

@Cakers3

There were a number of young people addressing the issue of gun violence in the streets (as well as schools and everywhere else) speaking at the March on Saturday.

Others speak about it, too.  Some speak about it a lot, and a lot of people just turn a deaf ear.

@QueenDanceALot  I understand that but I was the one who brought up street violence and it was passed on by.  My post was to show that nobody HERE ON THIS CHAT (and others) are not taking into account the daily murder of young people.

Everyone HERE is going on about the school shootings and AR-15s but nobody is addressing the daily deaths of young people due to gun violence-and those are not caused by AR-15s all the time.

As I have been saying, this isn't just a school issue; it's a humanity issue.  I've said this several times on several threads.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3

I agree with your view that this is "not a school issue, but one of humanity".

Since DH and I moved several states away from our former metro area, we wryly joke that the evening news and daily newspaper  where we live now should be subtitled "All Crime All the Time".  

We see story after story every single day of violence in our metro area.........taking place in  many different areas, at many times, and so often for no recognizable good reason other than some mentally ill people or gang members are  wielding knives, guns and horrible states of mind or bad attitudes.

Babies and children are being drowned,  stabbed, suffocated, thrown in trash dumpsters,  randomly shot by strangers while their parents are pumping gas at a gas station, bullied,  confined and starved and beaten to death by kidnappers or their own deranged family members.

This problem is a whole lot bigger than some excessively  powerful guns that we wish no one could own.  These guns might be useful to our military forces in fighting an enemy, but somehow the targets have increasingly become  "just us".  But it doesn't take an assault rifle to kill innocent people.  

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3wrote:

@QueenDanceALotwrote:

@Cakers3wrote:

@Cakers3

@QueenDanceALot  I understand that but I was the one who brought up street violence and it was passed on by.  My post was to show that nobody HERE ON THIS CHAT (and others) are not taking into account the daily murder of young people.

Everyone HERE is going on about the school shootings and AR-15s but nobody is addressing the daily deaths of young people due to gun violence-and those are not caused by AR-15s all the time.

As I have been saying, this isn't just a school issue; it's a humanity issue.  I've said this several times on several threads.

@Cakers3

I get your point, and your frustration, but maybe part of the reason people here aren't addressing the larger issue is because (in part) the threads have been about the recent school shootings.  Or maybe they just don't want to address it because it feels overwhelming.

As it is, the same arguments keep going around and around and around again.  I am personally just weary of the voices that keep saying that we must address everything BUT gun laws, that those must go unlooked at and unchallenged.   

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot  I hear you.  I'd say more but I'll be booted for being argumentative.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3wrote:

@QueenDanceALot  I hear you.  I'd say more but I'll be booted for being argumentative.  LOL

@Cakers3

I hear that!

Not that I have ever been booted for being argumentative.

Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3wrote:

I think they are @Cakers3  I see it addressed pretty much every day, especially by groups of activist mothers keeping the issue alive.

I don't know if you saw her, but the young African-American woman on stage the other day spoke on exactly that, coming down forcefully on the shootings of young black girls who never made the front page.  She was so together and only 11 years old.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3wrote:

@QueenDanceALotwrote:

@Cakers3wrote:

@Cakers3

@Cakers3

Oh, some of us are, and have been for a long time.