Honored Contributor

Classrooms are armed with a bucketful of rocks

[ Edited ]
Honored Contributor

Re: Classrooms are armed with a bucketful of rocks

[ Edited ]

I expected that craziness to be followed by....April Fools !!!   I never heard of anything stupider or dumber than that idea.  Unless, of course, the rocks have super powers that give them the power to defeat bullets.  

Respected Contributor

This idea is...dumber than a box of rocks. 

Honored Contributor

I saw that on the news last night.  I think the superintendent has rocks in his head.

Those rocks will probably sit in the bucket forever, unless students get angry and start throwing them at each other.

If a student gets hurt with those rocks being thrown during a fight, there will be a lawsuit, and rightly so.

And, why tell the public what you are using for protection?  Taking rocks to a gun fight is not prudent.  

Most of the school shootings have been carried out by the students.  I would think they would have a plan in place to remove the rocks or do a work a round if they know the rocks are there...so would an outside intruder.

Telling the public is an invitation to just dare someone to try to come into the school with a gun and smoke bombs.  

This school district is about an hour from me and there is a lot of talk about it here.  Almost everyone thinks it is a stupid idea..including me.

Honored Contributor

I disagree. I think he is proactive, and not just setting wringing his hands..I would rather go down fighting than be slaughtered like sheep

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I get the principal's point @cherry.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Well, unless the Super intends to give the students extensive training as to how to throw and aim as well as strength training they still won't have a chance against a semi-automatic firing off as many rounds as the perpetrator can pull the trigger....  but I have to hand it to him for the "feel good" bucket of rocks put in the classroom because it will give the students the feeling that they can do something and they won't be as scared. For that alone I give the Super kudos for thinking outside the box.  However unless the perperator came to school with his own bucket of rocks, there is no way unless someone in that classroom gets awfully lucky.      

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I'm sure some of the boys are   going to be a good shot with a rock, and perhaps the girls too...

Respected Contributor

While it is one more strategy to deal with such a horrific problem, I just can't get a visual of how this would work. It is certainly better that nothing. I would be too scared to throw rocks at someone armed with an assault-type gun. I would be more of the flee in a fight or flee scenario. Maybe it would work if the intruder was using a sling shot.

Honored Contributor

Never underestimate the power of Adrenalin..If you are fighting for your life ,you might be surprise what the will to live ,will  do

Some of those teenage boys are strong as an ox, and  a rock  took down Goliath..I  think we should open a fund me account ,and get them slings, like David used