Honored Contributor

Re: Classrooms are armed with a bucketful of rocks

@ValentinaBonwrote:

@cherrywrote:

He isn't causing violence, he is protecting the children from  being murdered  big difference...

If you go by the definition of violence,

"behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something"

then Throwing rocks at someone is being violent, even if they started it, even if they are a "bad" guy. We don't get to pick and choose what it is, just because we feel we are in the right.

by the way, these are not my feelings...I'm simply playing devils advocate

@ValentinaBon

Are you kidding?  So, if you were assaulted you would do nothing to protect yourself?

Beyond belief.

Honored Contributor

It doesn't and it's not.  At least he cares enough to do the best he can, with nothing at all ,to help  protect those children

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A bucketful of rocks is just...”Squirrel Talk”.

Lots of unnecessary noise & distraction for the bigger issue.

Pretend this scenario did played out.

Lack of Speed

The kids, unless they’re Nolan Ryan w/ a 90mph fastball arm,

just wouldn’t have the arm strength and/or speed to make

said rock do any damage.

Body Exposure

Also, once the kid grabs the rock, he/she would have to expose themselves from their hiding place to throw the rock....and giving the shooter more than enough time to discharge bullets on a very open target.

“Bucketful of Rocks” sounds so Wile E Coyote...like something he would buy from The Acme Company to foil The Roadrunner.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7wrote:

@ValentinaBonwrote:

@cherrywrote:

He isn't causing violence, he is protecting the children from  being murdered  big difference...

"behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something"

then Throwing rocks at someone is being violent, even if they started it, even if they are a "bad" guy. We don't get to pick and choose what it is, just because we feel we are in the right.

@ValentinaBon

Are you kidding?  So, if you were assaulted you would do nothing to protect yourself?

Beyond belief.

Not sure where/how you got this info. I actually have a concealed weapon permit and take classes to protect myself so don't worry about me, I can handle and protect myself. That isn't what we are discussing here, we are discussing protecting our kids in school. Not sure what part of "playing devils advocate" you didn't understand...

Honored Contributor

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the article say that the bucket of rocks would be kept in a.......closet???

I understand if you hear shooting elsewhere you MIGHT have time to get to the bucket in your classroom but realistically??

btw:  Goliath wasn't armed with an AR-15.  Plus the story is a myth.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

It doesn't and it's not.  At least he cares enough to do the best he can, with nothing at all ,to help  protect those children

After the Florida shooting, someone in the police department suggested ways to respond.  Run, call for help or throw things.  I suppose the guy was going on that.

Honored Contributor

@cherry

Didn't go to the link, but think I know why they have the rocks. (thread title word, Armed), really?  It sounds like the ole "take only your fists to a knife fight" to me, more dangerous!  Will leave it at that.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

What you call squirrel talk, is one mans attempt to protect childen, while everyone else looks away ,and does nothing at all...How many more times will this happen, before  people  feel  enough  shame to do something?

Regular Contributor

While one is standing to hurl those rocks, that idiot shooter can get a clear shot ... better to hide, or play dead than be a moving target.  

Honored Contributor

@ValentinaBonwrote:

@Noel7wrote:

@ValentinaBonwrote:

@cherrywrote:

@ValentinaBon

Beyond belief.

Not sure where/how you got this info. I actually have a concealed weapon permit and take classes to protect myself so don't worry about me, I can handle and protect myself. That isn't what we are discussing here, we are discussing protecting our kids in school. Not sure what part of "playing devils advocate" you didn't understand...

@ValentinaBon

What we are discussing here?  I was "here" on this discussion long before you were.

Not sure you understood the implication in my comment to you, nor do you understand when someone sees right through the excuse of only playing the Devil's Advocate.  Like that one really works...