Honored Contributor

Re: Christmases of the past vs today

Agree that it is different, but it isn't difficult to keep things simple.  As I look under our tree, I see practical things I requested (chair cushions, toaster, mattress pad).  Sure those are things I could have easily bought for myself, but I kept them in mind and used them to answer the "what would you like for Christmas" question.

Honored Contributor

Check out this value of the dollar calculator.  I clearly remember in 1969 my sister and I (both in college) received $50 from Santa.  I remember it because it was given to us in 5 boxes, each containing $10.  Today that same $50 would be worth in buying power $333.

The biggest hit with our 4 Grands (ages 6-11) were individual DVD players I purchased at HSN for $59 during their Christmas in July sale.  In 1969 the equivalent to $59 would have been less than $9.

$1 in 1960 has the power of $8 today.

calculator

Respected Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I was looking at pictures on Facebook and see trees with many, many presents under them.  Our tree didn't look like that and we were happy with what we got.  

I turned 70 this year and our tree growing up looked exactly like those pictures.   We weren't wealthy either and there were no credit cards.   XMAS Eve we opened gifts from family and friends and then Santa came and brought the 'bigger' gifts like bikes or record players etc.  and a few other unwrapped presents. (Santa didn't wrap)   Most Christmases there were 14 of us in our grandparents little 800 square foot house and on xmas eve you couldn't walk around the room for all of the presents around the tree and out into the room.   There were lots of little things wrapped so we had plenty of gifts to open.   The opening as much fun  as seeing what was inside.  I don't think many presents under the tree diminishes Christmas or is a bad thing.

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Well, it is easy to say Oh I don't spend that much on my child or grandchild or Oh I don't pay any attention to how others spend their Christmas but  when children are involved especially ones who still believe in Santa - when they go back to school and they got a doll or toy they are very happy about then they see that their friends got drones and robots and $600 cell phones they are going to wonder why they don't get those gifts.Why does Santa like him better than me? I am a good boy. etc etc. I got underwear, shoes and sweaters while so & so was getting really cool stuff. A little kid would really wonder why he wasn't good enough to get the cool stuff his friends get from Santa.

So what are you saying?  Perhaps the government should dictate what people can give as gifts for Christmas right?  There has ALWAYS been disparities between what different kids get for gifts.  Parent of young ones should be participating with them in writing to Santa, or when they are sitting on Santa's lap and telling what they want.  We teach and guide our children to hopefully have reasonable requests and expectations, and thus they get what THEY have asked Santa for.

Once again, even though this thread is cloaked in the "Christmas of the past" it's just more of your same commentary on people not spending their money and living their lives the way you think they should.

Bingo!

Honored Contributor

I grew up in the 60s and 70s. We always had nice Christmases, but they were never over the top. Everyone had a few presents to open. One tradition that I have continued since my childhood is giving home baked goodies to family and friends.

As time passed my family went from giving gifts to everyone to just drawing one name. Several years ago we stopped giving gifts except to the kids. My DH and I don't exchange gifts anymore either. It was strange at first not giving or receiving things, but if we need or want something we can buy it ourselves. It is also nice to treat friends and family to dinner or a treat throughout the year or on a birthday instead of feeling obligated to give a token Christmas gift. 

Honored Contributor

I feel it's pointless to compare anything that occurred 60-70 years ago to today's world. All our lives are moments in time and that's what they're meant to be - places along the road. The bare-bones motel we were thrilled to stay in the first time we had a road trip/vacation can't compare to the 4-5 star hotels we stay in now, or even the 3-stars, because - life is progress and change whether we like it or not. We may have a fond memory or two of the early days, but I doubt they would keep us happy staying there now.

Clearly, some resent change of any kind unless it benefits them, and sometimes even then. I can't help but feel that those who are constantly yearning for The Old Days in every way and feeling the need to complain about both Life and People "nowadays" are just plain unhappy in their life now, for whatever reason(s), notwithstanding firm protestations to the contrary.

Anyone who doesn't yearn for "simpler times" in general clearly doesn't have the same (superior) values they have.

Nah. People are just not all the same. They did not all have the same past experiences or live the same lives - and we are all shaped by our histories.

Different memories, histories, lives and loves are just that - DIFFERENT. Not necessarily to be judged better or worse than anyone else's.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  I believe I clearly referrenced little kids who still believe in Santa.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We are in charge of our own Christmas.

No one forces us to do anything and the reality is that most people have more spendable cash today than fifty years ago.

I hate the part about blaming teens and millennials.  It was my daughter who gave ME a new iPad this year.  I said I didn't need it, my old one was fine.  But she knows it keeps me company in the hospital and if I'm sick at home, and she wanted me to have better resolution and to be able to download movies.

Our family does the same kind of Christmas we've always done and we've been married a long time. 

Today is our day to rest, have leftovers and look more closely at our gifts and new books. Restful.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Well, it is easy to say Oh I don't spend that much on my child or grandchild or Oh I don't pay any attention to how others spend their Christmas but  when children are involved especially ones who still believe in Santa - when they go back to school and they got a doll or toy they are very happy about then they see that their friends got drones and robots and $600 cell phones they are going to wonder why they don't get those gifts.Why does Santa like him better than me? I am a good boy. etc etc. I got underwear, shoes and sweaters while so & so was getting really cool stuff. A little kid would really wonder why he wasn't good enough to get the cool stuff his friends get from Santa.

So what are you saying?  Perhaps the government should dictate what people can give as gifts for Christmas right?  There has ALWAYS been disparities between what different kids get for gifts.  Parent of young ones should be participating with them in writing to Santa, or when they are sitting on Santa's lap and telling what they want.  We teach and guide our children to hopefully have reasonable requests and expectations, and thus they get what THEY have asked Santa for.

Once again, even though this thread is cloaked in the "Christmas of the past" it's just more of your same commentary on people not spending their money and living their lives the way you think they should.

Bingo!

@proudlyfromNJ@Buck-i-Nana, I agree; however, not surprised at this thread the day after Christmas.  SSDD.

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

I grew up in the 60s and 70s. We always had nice Christmases, but they were never over the top. Everyone had a few presents to open. One tradition that I have continued since my childhood is giving home baked goodies to family and friends.

As time passed my family went from giving gifts to everyone to just drawing one name. Several years ago we stopped giving gifts except to the kids. My DH and I don't exchange gifts anymore either. It was strange at first not giving or receiving things, but if we need or want something we can buy it ourselves. It is also nice to treat friends and family to dinner or a treat throughout the year or on a birthday instead of feeling obligated to give a token Christmas gift. 

I love to treat people to a meal of their choice for birthdays or whenever, and I love it when I'm offered the same. A meal I love in the company of those whose company I enjoy is every bit as much a gift to me as a physical gift.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all