Respected Contributor

Re: Christmases of the past vs today

I'm really not concerned with how other people celebrate Christmas. Their money, their time, their choice as to how they spend all of it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

First...I agree that everyone should celebrate in thier own way....!

I had a great day yesterday, and hope everyone else did too....

Now here's a thought......

Fast forward to.....Christmas 2027...

On QVC, on the "Christmas in February" show, they are offering (buy NOW-they will be GONE by September and you'll miss out!!!!!)

1) A Deed to a fully paid off 6 bedroom 5 bath home.

2) A title to a paid off luxury SUV. ( with matching Weathertech floormats)

3) a four-year college education grant to an Ivy league school.

For the "gift closet"....( just in case someone "Stops by and you are at a loss what to give them but you just feel you  need a little  SOMETHING.......)

a) A riding lawn mower with a 60" deck

b) a golf cart with matching clubs

c) a paid vacation voucher to  Caribbean Islands.

Don't worry, it'll all be on 52 week Easy-Pay!!!!

And in the comments section, we'll see the pining for the days of 70.00 hams, 50.00 cheesecakes, some fluffy throws and a Tracphone with 1000 minutes....

Sigh.....

And it's guaranteed for delivery on the "real" Christmas, whenever that will be!

Think about it.

Honored Contributor

Well, it is easy to say Oh I don't spend that much on my child or grandchild or Oh I don't pay any attention to how others spend their Christmas but  when children are involved especially ones who still believe in Santa - when they go back to school and they got a doll or toy they are very happy about then they see that their friends got drones and robots and $600 cell phones they are going to wonder why they don't get those gifts.Why does Santa like him better than me? I am a good boy. etc etc. I got underwear, shoes and sweaters while so & so was getting really cool stuff. A little kid would really wonder why he wasn't good enough to get the cool stuff his friends get from Santa.

Respected Contributor

There will always be kids who get more and some who get less.  Children need to learn that life lesson.   It's not productive to compare what other people get to what you get 

My daughter's very good friend got a gold Cartier bracelet for Christmas.   Mine didn't.  Lol    You have to learn to accept certain things in life.  

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I think that in general we over analyze the holidays. Why didn't they say, Merry Christmas, why do they decorate so much or not enough, and gifting is it's own can of worms. Did you enjoy yourself yesterday? If you did, don't worry about what other people are doing. If it wasn't great, well sometimes that's just how it goes. 

@QVCkitty1

Pretty profound and true statement!

I think we do way over analyze it, and mostly what others are doing or not, what they give, who they give to etc.

So many here are offended by the 'gift' closet mentality that Q espouses. I for one, found a few general gifts in the closet to come in very handy in years past. I had a couple of kids things (usually an educational toy, books or building sets) that came in handy for unexpected birthday invites, and the occasional candle, pretty note cards or handmade felted wool mittens for when an invited guest would bring along someone we weren't expecting during a holiday meal or exchange. I don't think it wrong to have such things or to not have them. It is about what works for each individual, and can't see the amount of time people spend on here worrying over someone else gifting the bus driver and the mail carrier.

I agree it a waste of time to look for reasons to be offended this time of year, based on what greeting is expressed, how early it was stated, to whom it was directed or from whom it came. Any kind and heart felt salutation is ok in my book. Beats getting the finger as someone cuts you off in last minute mall traffic!

I choose to enjoy the pictures or visits with those who decorate to the 'nines' just the same as those who simply hang a wreath on the door. I don't disparage them doing different than I do. I barely have time to worry about what I'm wanting to do (or not do) any given year. 

As far as who gifts what number of people, how much they spend, or what types of gifts they give, well, that is pretty much a personal thing, that for most of us changes as we go through life and our circumstances change over the years. 

As to the OP, yes, those holidays of old did seem better because of the simplicity.

I realize we were seeing them through the eyes of a child, there was less stress as we weren't the adults worrying about all those adult things, and we simply got to enjoy the season.

I'm sure for many today, there is now the added stress of feeling the need to give (especially to kids) the things that they know other children will be getting and are considered 'essential' for today's young people. Unfortunately many expensive electronics are now considered necessary for them to fit in (phones) or to be properly educated (computers and other things of that type). It has become a little more than just keeping up with the Joneses, but keeping your kids in the latest technology for them to 'succeed' today. 

I think that as a society gets more advanced and more wealthy, expectations in general rise and the satisfaction of those expectations becomes quite a burden. 

For us personally, we are reducing both the number of and cost of things we gift in our family as we all have obtained all we need and most of what we want.

We have scaled back over the last several years, and next year we have actually set a gift limit for all adults. We are choosing to gift mostly things that are practical and needed. Everyone that participates agrees, and we make no judgement if someone else wishes to gift their loved ones lavish expensive and frivolous things. It's all good, as people do what they prefer.

I know in the past that the OP mentions, in our family, those simple and often gifts of clothing were rooted in the fact that we had very little (relative to today), and things cost a bigger percentage of income than many do now. 

Our closets back then were very bare. I had only 5 dresses for school, one for each day. You'd be hard pressed today to find a school age girl that only had five outfits. So a gift of clothing was indeed a big deal. 

I know that we also received nothing during the year, except gifts on our birthday and Christmas. Some clothing and a new pair of shoes for back to school. We got no toys, no clothing, just nothing in between those times. Today's kids (and adults) seem to be treated (or treat themselves) to new things almost every week. It is nothing today for most people to just buy what they want. 

But back then, the simplest of things were a big deal, because it was months and months in between receiving the few things we did get. 

My personal opinion is that people today (in general, not everyone) aren't really grateful or appreciative of the little and simple things.They simply have 'too much' (that isn't a judgement about the quanity or cost of their things, just the fact that even among the poor, we now have so much stuff relative to several generations ago). It takes more and more to 'impress' many people. 

Well, maybe I should stop, because I think I just way over analyzed the holidays!!!LOL

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

There will always be kids who get more and some who get less.  Children need to learn that life lesson.   It's not productive to compare what other people get to what you get 

My daughter's very good friend got a gold Cartier bracelet for Christmas.   Mine didn't.  Lol    You have to learn to accept certain things in life.  

You are one-thousand-percent right here!  You can read here and see where it gets you to compare what others have or give.  You get envious and bitter.  The greatest gift is to be content with what you have, and greatful for the things you have and don't deserve.  

Gifts that come with love always trump the dollars spent.   And yes, people have LOTS more than I have, good for them, and LOTS less--maybe I can help in that case. 

My mother went wild at Christmas because she loved all of us.  She bought, cooked, decorated, and dressed up the dog!  EVERYBODY was welcome to Christmas dinner.  They just showed up, and were fed, loved and blessed.  I would never fault that woman for the excess and the joy and the love she spread around.  Nobody counted up what their gift cost. 

Respected Contributor

To me Christmas is about giving, so one particular Christmas in the past that I treasure is the one  I purchased my mother and father a Christmas present with my very own money when I had my first job in high school.  I still remember what I got them.  But more importantly, they treasured the gifts as well.  I also remember when I was in college, I went in with my mother to purchase a watch for Dad.  He wore that watch for years and still had it when he passed away.  He thought quite a bit about that watch and took good care of it. 

I love the look of surprise and pleasure on a loved one's face when they open a gift. 

I would not trade the look of glee and delilght on my grandson's face yesterday for anything in the world.  DH and I had quite a time this morning talking about what a great day it was.

I also believe that everyone should celebrate the way they choose.  What we do for Christmas is what we do.  Anyone else should do what they would like to do.  I do not think anyone should attempt to try and feel guilty over what they do for Christmas.  It would not work on me and I hope I would never do that to anyone else. 

And I also think presents over the years change.  Everything changes and sometimes for the good.  I, for one, and certainly grateful that we don't have to cook in a fireplace anymore due to the invention of ovens!  Pshew!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Well, it is easy to say Oh I don't spend that much on my child or grandchild or Oh I don't pay any attention to how others spend their Christmas but  when children are involved especially ones who still believe in Santa - when they go back to school and they got a doll or toy they are very happy about then they see that their friends got drones and robots and $600 cell phones they are going to wonder why they don't get those gifts.Why does Santa like him better than me? I am a good boy. etc etc. I got underwear, shoes and sweaters while so & so was getting really cool stuff. A little kid would really wonder why he wasn't good enough to get the cool stuff his friends get from Santa.

My son is 20 now, but we recently faced what you are talking about. He was often 'undergifted' relative to his much more wealthy school mates. And much of it did indeed revolve around technology.

WE simply channeled his interests in other areas (outdoors, nature etc.) and flat out told him that many of those things were simply something that he could choose to have when he got older and had a job. We found them to be non essential, quickly outdated, and would take is time and attention away from things he really like doing (he was such a big outdoors person). 

He never seemed to be jealous, or sad or felt cheated. 

I think helping your kids to develop a strong sense of 'self' helps to prevent this kind of thing. Also, pointing out others that have significantly less than they do helps keep things in perspective too.

We always made it clear that we didn't base our wants and needs on what others had.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Othereeeen wrote:

First...I agree that everyone should celebrate in thier own way....!

I had a great day yesterday, and hope everyone else did too....

Now here's a thought......

Fast forward to.....Christmas 2027...

On QVC, on the "Christmas in February" show, they are offering (buy NOW-they will be GONE by September and you'll miss out!!!!!)

1) A Deed to a fully paid off 6 bedroom 5 bath home.

2) A title to a paid off luxury SUV. ( with matching Weathertech floormats)

3) a four-year college education grant to an Ivy league school.

For the "gift closet"....( just in case someone "Stops by and you are at a loss what to give them but you just feel you  need a little  SOMETHING.......)

a) A riding lawn mower with a 60" deck

b) a golf cart with matching clubs

c) a paid vacation voucher to  Caribbean Islands.

Don't worry, it'll all be on 52 week Easy-Pay!!!!

And in the comments section, we'll see the pining for the days of 70.00 hams, 50.00 cheesecakes, some fluffy throws and a Tracphone with 1000 minutes....

Sigh.....

And it's guaranteed for delivery on the "real" Christmas, whenever that will be!

Think about it.

Woman LOL  Don't forget to include several of those Dyson $500 hair dryers in the gift closet (lol)

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

So what are you saying?  Perhaps the government should dictate what people can give as gifts for Christmas right?  There has ALWAYS been disparities between what different kids get for gifts.  Parent of young ones should be participating with them in writing to Santa, or when they are sitting on Santa's lap and telling what they want.  We teach and guide our children to hopefully have reasonable requests and expectations, and thus they get what THEY have asked Santa for.

Once again, even though this thread is cloaked in the "Christmas of the past" it's just more of your same commentary on people not spending their money and living their lives the way you think they should.