Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas shopping started? Finished?

@BirdieGal  I just did a quick search and found some websites with really cute ideas for gifts for each day.

Unique Holiday Gifts was one-not sure if I can link.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I'm usually well on my way to done by now, but this year is just so different.

We have been cutting back a little more every year, and this year will be even further cut back.

And everyone I'm buying for is in a bit of a flux, with me unable to pinpoint the exact most needed/wanted items this early out. Oh, I have a ton of ideas and possibilities, but with our cutting back, I want to be sure to get only the most needed/wanted items, and not a ton of things because I started shopping early, and overbuy.

And my son has a newer girlfriend, that I'm not sure will still be in the picture by Christmas, so I don't want to get too far ahead of myself on that one either. 

Respected Contributor

We make lists of ideas for each other and no one does that until after Thanksgiving, so I don't even think about Christmas until then.  So then I have about 3 weeks to purchase and wrap over 60 gifts Smiley Frustrated  Thank you, Amazon.

Honored Contributor

I no longer buy Christmas gifts, makes that awful season a lot easier to get through.........

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the replies, I enjoyed reading them. I am jealous of those who are well on their way with the shopping already. 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Yes, I've started my Christmas shopping. But I keep my ears always open and get my loved ones things they want and have mentioned. It drives me crazy when I hear that someone has their shopping already done! How do you even know what they want? I never shop all year and pick up junk that I like, for Christmas its all about them. 

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes...the gifts I give ARE all about the recipient. For my immediate family I know what they like and would appreciate. I also listen when they say things like “ohh, I want one of these, “I soooo need that” Words like that. I jot the item down and start looking for it.

For family we don’t see often I still know their styles, likes and dislikes and buy accordingly. I never buy what I want but what I think they will love. So far I haven’t missed the mark. I often will not be actively shopping for gifts and see something that literally screams one person or another. So I pick up that item.

I keep Christmas alive in my heart all year. So I am active in my gathering of gifts all year. 

And I never ever buy junk.

@ID2

Honored Contributor

Last year for some unknown reason I was done by like the end of August.  I was walking through a store when I was suddenly overcome with the urge, will and desire to fill a shopping cart!  Before I knew it, I had nearly everything purchased in one full swoop.  Unheard of.  It was a miracle of sorts.  Woman Surprised  

This year --- I am not in the mood --- at all.  Too many things going on.  I can't wrap my head around it.

Generally speaking, I am one who waits under after Thanksgiving to shop.

So far, I bought 4 things and these practically fell on my head, so I had to buy them.

I have no inspration or desire and have no clue what to purchase for anyone.  Sad, but true.  I guess it's still early, right???

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@seaBreeze wrote:

I have begged my parents, friends, neighbors to stop buying gifts for several years ... no one needs anything, honestly.   But the gifts keep coming!    I want to celebrate this special season with contributions to the less fortunate ... not stuffing my house & closets with "things" .... perhaps one day.

I'm lucky in that my family listened and they each only buy for their own individual immediate family at this point.  They know I have the ability to buy whatever I want and BTW, when dad died I threw out a lot of things he got for Christmas cuz nobody knew what to get him!  

My sister invites me to her home for Christmas and when I go there I take flowers and she wraps a Maxine calendar for the following year.  Works for me!  I also use the holidays instead to send contributions to the local food closet, etc.  

Honored Contributor

I’ve been wrapping gifts this afternoon. Not really in the mood, but I’ve done something to my right knee (not doctor worthy) and I’m just sitting here trying to rest it and I got bored so I’ve been doing some wrapping. 

Our living room is an absolute mess right now.  Tissue paper, wrapping paper, gift boxes, wrapped gifts, all over the place. 

I’m going to keep going till I finish what I’ve brought out to wrap and then put all this stuff away. I can’t stand the living room looking like this.  It goes against my sense of order, LOL. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?