Esteemed Contributor

Christmas shopping started? Finished?

[ Edited ]

Has anyone been Christmas shopping yet? Is anyone finished shopping? I used to start in July and have every thing wrapped by black Friday, but the past few years I am taking it slower.

My grand kids are now 19, 17, & 13 and I am stuck on what to buy (even though they gave me a few ideas). We all make some list ideas another words, but I like to think of some things on my own too.. Also, I give gift cards to everyone in my immediate family to shop, and then some gifts to open of course.

I had to laugh, my middle granddaughter who usually has a list of a million things, said she just wants cash. lol. I said oh I prefer to give gift cards and some gifts but maybe I could give some cash. Well now she sent me a list of items. lol.

Anyway as far as I got is to look on line for some ideas. I loved it when my grand kids were younger, it was so easy. Also they always all tell me I buy the best gifts so i feel like I have to keep up and buy some cool things they will love.

And DH wont even talk about Christmas shopping for his family until Thanksgiving. lol. He sees Christmas as nothing but money/spending time. But I like to pace it to budget some of the money.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Christmas shopping started? Finished?

I've mailed a few things already - no waiting in line at the PO and the packages got there in just a few days.  I asked the recipients to just tuck them away 'til Christmas.

I don't buy for many but I found myself last night pencilling in an idea for my next door neighbor.  I'll probably get that done soon.

I like to avoid the rush, but then there are always a few things I pick up last-minute.  I consider that part of the festivities.  And thank goodness for bill-to, ship-to!

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I wish.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am the oldest of 4 kids.  We used to buy gifts for each other, as time went by we drew names.  I'm single and when they had kids I bought all the kids gifts till the oldest was 10 years old.     

Once that happened, I stopped, and instead opened an account in a stock market subaccount and each month put $100 in it.  During Christmas I'd wrap a new calendar for the upcoming year with the theme of what they like (sports teams, Harry Potter, etc).

Untouched money left alone taking advantage of the volatility of the market for 15 years made for a pretty substantial account.  When the youngest hit 18, I moved the money to my checking account, divided it evenly among the 3 kids and gave each of them a check.  Once they got older they each said they appreciated the check when they'd most need it - two put it toward a new car when that was necessary, the other used it as a down payment on an apartment.  Now some of them have kids but I figure it's time for the grandparents to take on that generation.  We no longer get gifts for each other or even draw names bc the family has grown too big.  Instead we all now go out to a restaurant for a meal together (sometime during the month of December).  We also have summer barbeques.  Doing so allows us to remain connected as a family (we all live within an hour of each other).

Esteemed Contributor

Started.

Bought for most of the women at post Christmas sales last year and a couple of items for DSs. Fortunately the list of gifts to buy is shrinking, along with my income. I buy for the nieces and nephews until they graduate from college. Also, happy to have only one box to ship to one family in state. My baby was overseas last Christmas but will be home with his mama and family this year- Best gift for me!

Honored Contributor

I am started and down to two Christmas gifts and two December birthday presents. 

I had to stop and wait for some more paychecks to pile up.  Probably will pick up again for the home stretch next month.  Smiley Happy

I am getting stuck on teenagers too.  I really do want to make the effort and buy a gift I think he would like but a 14 year old boy is stressing me out with what I can get for him under $50.  I'm hoping to pick some ideas up at his birthday in November. 

Any ideas for that age group are very welcome.        

Honored Contributor

Finished...on October 18?  I have never thought of Christmas shopping as chore to be get through and be done before the season even comes.  I love Christmas, I love everything about it, including choosing gifts and wrapping.  I might pick up a gift or two, if I see something early, like the pj's with socks that I bought earlier this week but for the most part, I don't do any Christmas shopping until after Halloween.  I don't go into Christmas mode until the after Thanksgiving.  I like to enjoy the seasons and the holidays as they come.  

Trusted Contributor

I've started my shopping - I have 6 grandkids and a husband.  Last year I did something different for the kiddos - They all got stockings full of goodies only.  I filled them with little toys, candies and gift cards.  The funny thing was, my two granddaughters seemed to enjoy this so much more than opening gifts - the older kids, not so much.  But, I'm doing the same thing again because it really helps my budget! 

Honored Contributor

Way back in the 80's and 90's as a full time homemaker I was always done by Sept. 30th and my Christmas cards were received by all the day after Thanksgiving.  Then it was just fun little stocking stuffers for my son and baking.  Loved it all and still do with the  little remaining now.  Now with so many gone home above and the family so much smaller I wait until around Halloween.  My extended family stopped the gift giving many years ago and just enjoy the fellowship and Turkey.  Our younger generations were much relieved when they did not have to buy tons of gifts for all the uncles, aunts, and second cousins ect.......  But when I was child Christmas afternoon at my Great-Grandmother's home was almost better than Santa Claus at home that morning. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I'm done shopping as no one in my family gives me any ideas of what they want.  I'll give them money. Smiley Happy