Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas shopping started? Finished?

It must be at least 15 years now ... but we don't exchange gifts.  There are four children who get presents ... but that's it.  

Same with friends .... just wish each other a Merry Christmas!

Honored Contributor

I've bought 1 thing and only because it was a hand painted ornament and I wanted to allow plenty of time.

I generally don't even think about x-mas until after Thanksgiving and that's plenty of time.

I want to get people things they want and things that can be returned in the event the gift doesn't work out. 

Respected Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

I pick things up along the way. I've learned when I see something and the moment strikes me, that is when to buy.   I don't have a lot to buy for but I always try to be ahead on things, regardless of what it is.  I have never stressed about Christmas as that was an advantage of being ahead of the curve.  While others are running around like nuts, I just sit back, listen to Christmas music and drink a couple of glasses of wine by the fireplace.  What could be better than that???

Me too. I pick up things all through the year. It's easier on the budget and I am not stressed trying to find the perfect gift at the last minute. 

I do a lot of decorating and have lots of events between thanksgiving and Xmas, so I would rather enjoy those things than worry about gift shopping.

I am about 75% finished. 

Trusted Contributor

@Shorty2U  What you said in your post is just what I have been experiencing with grandchildren!  I don't mind giving money for birthdays, graduations, etc.   But for Christmas I want to give gifts to open!  But, oh boy, those teenagers are very difficult to buy for!  I also ask for a wish list!!

I am about 70% done with my shopping and I too like to be done by "black friday", when so many people are just starting!!  I am usually wrapping on Thanksgiving week-end!!   Merry Christmas!!

Honored Contributor

Half done, most of the rest decided but not yet purchased.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

i really can't brag as I have so little to do ...Our adult daughter has had

to move in with us ... we are paying for her car and health care .. so she

is more that done ....our son .. we did a job at his house over the summer...

payed for supplies and help with the job...so he is done ....I may send a

gift card for dinner ....so a gift card for 2 teenage grand daughters ....

and I am having a t shirt made for my husband ...so it will be so easy...

To me that's like being done ....I have always shopped early so then

what it gets towards Christmas .. just shopping for fun....

Valued Contributor

Don't do much shopping or decorating anymore. Just me and my hubby, and he has a hard time with Christmas, due to some past family issues. Always breathe a sigh of relief when it's over, and we can get back to normal life.

Two daughters live far away, and only want $$.  Have stopped gifting relatives, by mutual agreement. Don't attend church, so no religious reason to celebrate.

Definitely do not decorate, as I was always the one who had to put things up and take them down. (Sort of my "Little Red Hen" complex.)

And, you know, I really don't miss all the running around, wrapping, and whopping credit card balances.  I do try to cook a nice meal on Christmas eve, but even that can sometimes make my hubby more depressed.

Sorry to be such a downer, but that's the reality of some people's life.

Respected Contributor

One major gift purchased. Have no ideas for anyone else on my list, but it's a short list, thank goodness. Good luck everyone and have fun!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have stopped buying into the year-round Christmas thing. I am enjoying the fall season here at the lake, and I will enjoy Thanksgiving as .Thanksgiving and not simply as a preamble to Christmas, After Thanksgiving, I will do my Christmas shopping.

Trusted Contributor

I didn’t see this thread earlier. I made one and posted that as of today I am all DONE!