Honored Contributor

The solstice this year will see Jupiter and Saturn closer together than they have been seen in 800 years.

Called a conjunction, the two planets will appear close together as one star when viewed from Earth but are still hundreds of millions of miles apart.

The planets will appear to be apart by only 1/5 the diameter of a full moon.

Conjunction of larger planets occur throughout the universe and the last one between Jupiter and Saturn occurred in 2000.  However, that conjunction was not as close as this one will be on Dec. 21st.

(This is NOT a religious subject so please be respectful of standards.)

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas Star Dec. 21st

Very interesting!!  Thanks for posting!!

Trusted Contributor

Here's hoping...in cloudy Upstate NY!

Esteemed Contributor

Hard to understand how two bitty points of lights are still so far apart.  Would be fun to zip all around out there.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 @Still Raining @faeriemoon 

Geminids Meteor Shower this weekendSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@avid shopper wrote:

Perseid Meteor Shower this weekendSmiley Happy

@avid shopper   Cool.

One of the best memories I have of the meteor shower was back home when DH and I spread a blanket on the hood of our car and leaned back to watch a spectacular meteor shower on a back road.  It was so intense you felt you could reach up and grab one.  This was over 20 years ago or so.

Thanks for letting us know-I actually had not heard about this!!!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Super Contributor

@avid shopper wrote:

Here's hoping...in cloudy Upstate NY!

I hear you!  Whenever there is an eclipse, meteor shower, planet alignment, etc., it is cloudy or raining.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

The solstice this year will see Jupiter and Saturn closer together than they have been seen in 800 years.

Called a conjunction, the two planets will appear close together as one star when viewed from Earth but are still hundreds of millions of miles apart.

The planets will appear to be apart by only 1/5 the diameter of a full moon.

Conjunction of larger planets occur throughout the universe and the last one between Jupiter and Saturn occurred in 2000.  However, that conjunction was not as close as this one will be on Dec. 21st.

(This is NOT a religious subject so please be respectful of standards.)

I've been watching them the last several nights.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@avid shopper wrote:

Perseid Meteor Shower this weekendSmiley Happy

@avid shopper   Cool.

One of the best memories I have of the meteor shower was back home when DH and I spread a blanket on the hood of our car and leaned back to watch a spectacular meteor shower on a back road.  It was so intense you felt you could reach up and grab one.  This was over 20 years ago or so.

Thanks for letting us know-I actually had not heard about this!!!

I miss spoke, wrong meteor shower, not that the name matters but this weekend is the Geminids

I most likely will not see as it is to be cloudy for us in Upstate NY but I did see a beautiful crescent moon rise this morning.  

I check a site called "Earth Sky" from time to time to see what is going on in the sky.  But this year I had a page saved that had "the 10 must see celestial events of 2020".  I haven't searched for 2021 yet.   Also "SLOOH" either on your device or YouTube will show live events not visable everywhere.  Eclipses in particular for me.  

I too had an experience similar to yours but in August (Perseid) when I was a teenager.  At the Drive-In with my cousin behind the screen hundreds of shooting stars while we were there.  So Cool!

Honored Contributor

This isn't a religious topic. It refers to Astrology. Supposedly the Age of Aquairus is starting in earnest and we are all going to be a lot more community minded and cooperative and in tune with nature. Sounds like a good time to me. Every little bit helps and if the planets have a pull and positive influence on some folks, so be it. Just in time for Christmas.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr