Respected Contributor

Re: Christmas Star Dec. 21st

It can be seen tonight for those who may have missed it last night.  I am looking at it right now.  Look to the west/southwest.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

I did see it last night, barely.   After the puppy's dinner I wanted to go outside again and look some more, but it was gone.  What the heck!   It was like 10-15 minutes later.  So I'll look some more tonight and maybe try to get a pic.

I would hope it might be higher tonight (or is that silly?), as I did have to look through some trees.  This time of year the leaves are gone, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been, but  I hope to get a clean sight.   Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt 

It is somewhat near the horizon where I am seeing it.  And you are right, it does not last long, seems to set rather quickly.  I am an early riser and have been able to see it very early in the morning too.  In about the same place in the sky.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went out again last night and saw it even better, as it was a little higher and not partially obstructed by the nekkid trees.  Smiley Happy

Yeah, then I went out after the pupper had his dinner at 6:30 and - gone!   That's just so weird to me.

I tried to get pics.  Haven't looked yet at my camera but I have a feeling I didn't get anything.  Wished I had my old camera with a larger lens and maybe I could have gotten something.  It's weird how it just moves around so you can't get a clean shot.  I'm sure a pro, or somebody with a larger lens could.  The lens I have on my current cam only goes out to 1200.

Also, tried to look at it through my largest binoculars and the same thing - it kept bouncing around.

Still - very cool! Smiley Happy