Honored Contributor

Regarding a man holding the door open for a woman:

The man is supposed to walk through the door first and then turn and hold the door for the woman. This is due to the fact that in ye olde days, when traveling, the man would first walk into an establishment (such as an inn or pub) for a meal, the man (or the knight or whomever was traveling with the woman) would go in first to make sure it was safe. If it was, he would then hold the door open for her to show it was safe to enter.

It also didn't hurt that she wouldn't have to deal with full skirts and the door but make a smooth and elegant entrance. 

Your trivia for the day. : )

Regular Contributor

I am not an appendage to any man.  Haha!!  so any man who wants to extend a courtesy, I won't complain. and now it's Hammer time!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ1WU0x9pBw&list=RDedi_kT7-uHY&index=3

and this too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1F0lBnsnkE

Honored Contributor

@ann1989 That second video is fantastic: I've told many about it. 

WAY OFF topic....Youtube type in NAPTOWN FUNK. The midshipman singing the song (lip sinc) is the son of my OBGYN. I remember when I was pregnant and she had a picture of him on her desk with his brothers...he was a toddler in that picture!

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@pigletsmom people (women AND men) should respect and honor each other. It's sexist to think there's something special about the way men should treat or "honor" women. There's nothing more beautiful than equality. Chivalry is inherently wrong. Being nice and polite (everyone) is always cool!

@Goldengate8361, I hope you do at least return to see that you have at least one person who agrees with you. The word "chivalry" refers to the qualities of the ideal knight. So no, it doesn't apply to women.

Good manners should apply to both men and women. I prefer equal treatment from both.

I'm sorry that you were so rudely attacked for your opinion. Don't let it bother you.

@suzyQ3   Rudely attacked???  LOL

Asked a question, couldn't answer it, took her marbles and went home.

Who said women were "chivalrous"?? And who said good manners were only to be exercised by just men??

We all agreed good manners apply equally to men and women.  We can argue to death over the word "chivalry" but as I said, twice, the word today, while not used often, has a much different meaning.

btw:  @cherry  was the one attacked.  Although she can hold her own just fine.

Talk about taking a nice story and shooting it off into the stratosphere.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@Cakers3 polite behavior is always a good thing....performed by both women and men. The term chivalry is NOT the same thing.

@Goldengate8361 

i totally understood what you meant and i agree.

polite, kind behavior is always appropriate no matter if you are a man or woman.

i have held the door open for a man before when i arrived there first. i have had the door opened for me......both are polite......both are appropriate.......both deserve a thank you.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

My two cents, for what it's worth:  The OP tried to post a nice, positive story about something she witnessed.  (A refreshing respite from most of the news these days.)

Someone else took exception to the word "chivalry" and has completely derailed the positive intention of the thread.

To me, that's being pedantic.  We all (or most of us) knew exactly the point the OP was making.  There was no need to turn it into an argument based on the word chosen.

I think we all agree that courtesy, thoughtfulness, kindness should go both ways.  I will hold the door for a man and I say "thank you", when a man holds the door for me.  I apply the same rule to other women.  What I won't do is pick someone up on the choice of a word, the intended meaning of which, we all could have understood.

Honored Contributor

Ummm...isn't it a bit sexist to say that a woman can't be chivalrous?  In this day and age, don't we have equal employment opportunities?  Why can't a woman be a knight?  Woman Surprised

I'll have to do some research, to see if there have ever been any female knights during the course of history!

(ETA:  Found this - "Since there is no female equivalent to a Knight Bachelor, women are always appointed to an order of chivalry. Women who are appointed to the Most Noble Order of the Garter or the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle are given the title of Lady rather than Dame.")

Went further and found that there were, indeed, female knights during the Middle Ages.  Great reading, if anyone is interested.  There goes that argument about chivalry being sexist!

Female Knights

Respected Contributor

When I lived in California, men holding the door(s) open for women was hit and miss.  However, since moving to the Southeast, it's common place.  My husband has always been good about that.  I remember our realtor (who we became good friends with since moving here) said to me "if a man doesn't hold the door for you, he's a pri__." 

Contributor

I was walking into a store and a father and his son were behind me.  The man said mam we will open the door for you so I waited and his young son opened the door for me. I thanked them and I told the father that he was teaching his son by example.  This is how all children should learn by the example of their parents.  My husband taught our son the way a man treats a lady. He taught him to remove his hat when he was introduced to a lady. He taught him to remove his when he was indoors especially in a restaurant.  I don’t blame the younger people because manners are not being taught to them.

Esteemed Contributor

This notion that "Chivalry" is sexist is a new one to me, and quite perplexing!

To me, Chivalry has also referred to the behavior involved, not the gender of the individual displaying the behavior.  A woman most certainly can be chivalrous.

Is there anything else that we can get upset about today?