Honored Contributor

No, stealing joy from  someone else, is  the same thing.. rude , inconsiderate

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 polite behavior is always a good thing....performed by both women and men. The term chivalry is NOT the same thing.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry such an odd, narrow perspective....

Honored Contributor

Yes I have noticed that about you frequently, thank you for mentioning it

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@Cakers3 polite behavior is always a good thing....performed by both women and men. The term chivalry is NOT the same thing.

@Goldengate8361   Well duh.  Nobody said polite behaviour is not a good thing.  The OP clearly stated being polite is for both men and women.

The term "chivalry" may not be used frequently today but it has evolved in meaning, as I stated above.

And you didn't answer the question. 

Would a man holding a door for you be considered having good manners or being sexist? 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Oh @cherry and @Cakers3 ...I wish you both the best. I'm checking out of this conversation; it's getting a little silly.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@pigletsmom people (women AND men) should respect and honor each other. It's sexist to think there's something special about the way men should treat or "honor" women. There's nothing more beautiful than equality. Chivalry is inherently wrong. Being nice and polite (everyone) is always cool!

@Goldengate8361, I hope you do at least return to see that you have at least one person who agrees with you. The word "chivalry" refers to the qualities of the ideal knight. So no, it doesn't apply to women.

Good manners should apply to both men and women. I prefer equal treatment from both.

I'm sorry that you were so rudely attacked for your opinion. Don't let it bother you.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Let's just sum up here:

Man holds door-he has good manners.

Man is considered being chivalrous-now he's sexist, not polite.

Enjoying a nice story means one is narrow-minded.

Having a "diverse mind" means agreeing with one opinion.  Anything else is out of bounds.

Some are carrying really, really, really big hammers looking for any nail to pound.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

These are just simple acts of everyday politeness, not chivalry. Chivalry, in my opinion, is sexist. Politeness is just everyday nice behavior. 

Holding the door for someone politeness, opening the door and holding the umbrulla so your wife doesn't get wet, is chivalry. I always remember a movie i saw where the boy going on his first date asked his uncle what girls like, he said always open the car door for them, and remember if she's  worthwhile,  she'll reach over and open yours.

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

My husband is considerate like  that and so is my son, I do see young men and children out and about on occasion with very good manners. Again, parents need to train their kids and maybe there should be an Etiquette course taught in school since the parents either don't have time or do not know any better themselves. 

My daughter went to a very small grammar school for children with ADHD and learning disabilities.  The school's only rule was BE KIND.  Etiquette classes weren't taught but the example of being kind was demonstrated daily.