Honored Contributor

@Karie2022 @I enjoyed reading your post.I agree that it is nice to see people treating others with kindness,respect,manners and chivalry.You must have a thoughtful kind heart as you take notice of the little things around you that some are too distracted to notice,

Honored Contributor

@Karie2022 wrote:

I witnessed two very nice acts of chivalry by some gentlemen this week; maybe to some this is no big deal, but I have to say I rarely see this anymore, including in my own personal life with my own dh; an older gentleman got out of his car and grabbed his umbrella, it was pouring here the other day, and I watched him walk over to the other side of his car and hold the umbrella over his wife as she exited the car and they proceeded to walk into the store, the whole time holding the umbrella over his wife.

the other was a man holding the door open for his wife at a store and then waiting for me so I could enter as well...I guess I'm old fashioned, I love acts of chivalry and good manners...of course this goes both ways...it's nice when both sexes are well mannered and think of others....i try to tell my kids this frequently, look up from your phones,  you never who you may be able to help one day...just my observations.😊

Isn't it nice to see things like this.  Everytime a man holds a door I think Chiivalry is not dead.  I have been in places where there is no place to sit and men will not get up and offer a lady a seat.  When I was growing up in the 60's if you were on a bus men would always get up and give a lady their seat.  I don't know where all that went.  I still like being treated like a lady.  I expect men to open car doors and I will reach over and open theres.   I remember when men would not curse in front of women, a lot of men wore hats back then and would tip their hat when women went by.  

Honored Contributor

@ann1989 wrote:

I am not an appendage to any man.  Haha!!  so any man who wants to extend a courtesy, I won't complain. and now it's Hammer time!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ1WU0x9pBw&list=RDedi_kT7-uHY&index=3

and this too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1F0lBnsnkE

OMG thank you for posting  MC Hammer always good.  Video made me want to danceSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@ann1989 wrote:

I am not an appendage to any man.  Haha!!  so any man who wants to extend a courtesy, I won't complain. and now it's Hammer time!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ1WU0x9pBw&list=RDedi_kT7-uHY&index=3

and this too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1F0lBnsnkE

OMG thank you for posting  MC Hammer always good.  Video made me want to danceSmiley Happy

Also the movie stars dancing to Bruno Mars outstanding.  Thank you so much.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Karie2022, so sad that when a nice person posts a nice thread the unkind posters have to come out here and try to derail it. I see this much too often, I hope that most of us who are kind and caring and try to stay upbeat, happy, and positive can simply ignore them.

Trusted Contributor

There's a difference between politeness and chivalry. Everyone should be polite. Chivalry is done because men were taught that women are special.

Polite is they guy at Dunkin Donuts walking in front of me and handing me the door without it dropping on me. Chivalry is him opening the door and letting me walk in first. respect. Just like I will hold open the door and let an old person walk in ahead of me. Respect.

I realize we ladies have done everything to make men not respect us any more than their guy best friend, but it seems some guys aren't falling for it. When my late boyfriend wanted to clean snow off my car and wouldn't ever let me do it for him I was perfectly fine with that.

Honored Contributor

I don't see it as chivalry. I see it as behaving as gentlemen and ladies. There's a time and place for it. It's lots of fun, provided you can drop the roles when needed.

There are two roles that need to be filled for it to work, though. If you want a guy to act like a gentleman, it's your responsibility to respond as a lady. And vice versa. Doesn't work if both people aren't into it and doing their part.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think that a guy holding the door open for me is "chivalry".

I think that it's just being nice.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I hold doors open for others, and I do it because it's the nice thing to do.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor
I remember coming upon a woman struggling to get a stroller through a door while with her was a girl at least middle school age. No attempt by girl to help. I hurried over to help with the second door. It took self-restraint to not say something to that girl.
Yes, women open doors for others- like others pointed out, just a thoughtful gesture. I remember struggling with a double stroller while shopping - those helpful gestures so appreciated.
Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom ,  you modeled good behavior, so maybe the girl learned something.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York