Honored Contributor

Re: Cell phone call yesterday

At 218 yesterday there was a nationwide alert via tex

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I am in NY and have Optimum, even though I do not want to keep my home phone I keep it since it is cheaper to have all 3. My home phone rolls over to my cell, which is set up for Friends only meaning if you are listed in my phone book the call comes thru otherwise no on can get thru

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

There was no phonecall yesterday from the President or any other national emergency alert system.  It was a text that was sent out so that's not what the OP would be talking about.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

There has been a ton of publicity about this phone call, part of an early warning system, that all cell phones in the US would get.  It was just a test.

Funny thing is, none of my family members received the text, but the alert did come on TV at 2:20.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@Q4u

I received 2 calls yesterday on my land line that were strange!

The first call came up Banana Republic and my local area code on caller ID.   We have a Banana Republic store in our town, but haven't shopped there in quite some time. At any rate, I answered the phone.  A cheery voice came on telling me about a great home security plan that was available at a terrific fee.  At first, I thought it was an actual person speaking, so I asked "who is this?" several times.  Then realized it was a recording.  So, I called the number that showed on caller ID and it was my local Banana Republic store.  I informed them that their number had been hijacked. 

The second was just plain stupid, I won't even bore anyone with that one. 

The scammers are out in force!  Be careful! 

Honored Contributor

I have had several of those; I just block them like all the rest
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been getting several calls per day from a number in Bayonne, New Jersey....despite blocking the number, they call right back changing the last digit. You can't call the number back since it is outgoing only. It is healthcare-related. Would love to sue them for harrassment. Have probably had at least 100 calls from this location!

Honored Contributor

Unless the caller ID shows family or friend, doctor or dentist, we do not answer the phone. We get about 5 or more a day. I don't care what caller ID says, if I don't know you personally, I don't answer.