Honored Contributor

Re: 🔴Today-2:18EST Cell Phone Emergency Alert

@sunshine45 wrote:

on our television alert it specifically said that not all cell phones would be receiving the alert even thought it was sent to all cell phones. they did not say why though?

“THIS IS A TEST of the National Emergency Alert System. This system was developed by broadcast and cable operators in voluntary cooperation with the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the Federal Communications Commission, and local authorities to keep you informed in the event of an emergency. If this had been an actual emergency, an official message would have followed the tone alert you heard at the start of this message. A similar Wireless Emergency Alert test message has been sent to all cell phones nationwide. Some cell phones will receive the message; others will not. No action is required.”

@sunshine45  Thank you.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

You don't have to turn off your phone.  Just turn off your alert capability in your phone settings.

DH and I did not get the phone alert because those settings are off.  It did come on the TV.

Easier to turn off the phone like I did.

@tansy  Good for you.  As I said earlier we NEVER turn our phones off.  We have multiple medical issues in our family.

What is easy for us isn't easy for you.  Whatever works.

What is it today with everyone.

Sheesh.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

You don't have to turn off your phone.  Just turn off your alert capability in your phone settings.

DH and I did not get the phone alert because those settings are off.  It did come on the TV.

Easier to turn off the phone like I did.

@tansy  Good for you.  As I said earlier we NEVER turn our phones off.  We have multiple medical issues in our family.

What is easy for us isn't easy for you.  Whatever works.

What is it today with everyone.

Sheesh.

After reading your response on another thread, I could ask you the same question.  

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45, I am surprised that we did not get a tv alert, because so many times we get multiples in one day on almost every channel.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Cakers3

The Presidential Alert is to override any ‘opt out’ options on your phone.

We don’t have a choice. 

Also....if you turn your phone back on, the written message notification should still appear.

My BFF said his phone didn’t do the alert.

He is going to check w/ his provider.

I guess that’s why they wanted to test it...to get the bugs out.

That's correct @sidsmom.

Turning off alerts will not stop this one.

Turning the phone off will.

I don't like the sound alerts makes. It hurts my ears and drives my cats wild.

@Ms tyrion2

Even though turning off the phone will remove the audible sound,

I believe there will still be a written message when the phone is

turned back on. 

Mine didn't @sidsmom.

Maybe my phone didn't get the alert at all.

No matter. Turning my phone off for mere minutes was no big deal. I was at the gym anyway.

Honored Contributor

Re: Complete: Cell Phone Emergency Alert

I posted this in another thread but my phone did not get the alert.  I have not been receiving amber alerts either for well over a  year.  I have followed Verizons instructions for my phone and my alerts are turned on.  You don't have a choice with the Presidential alerts.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and I used to get amber alerts.  I believe one of the updates wiped this out on the phones as there are a lot of complaints about alerts not being received on the Verizon forums and elsewhere.  My DH has the same phone and he no longer gets these alerts either.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Complete: Cell Phone Emergency Alert

Well it startled me and my furbabies and I'm glad it worked! 

Trusted Contributor

I just received an email from a friend who was sitting in the airport waiting area to board a flight, She said it was pandemonium.....beeps, rings, whirs......staff, customers, security etc. all receiving the alert.

There was a light moment however when one guy answered the ring and said loudly, "Hello Mr. President! What can I do for you? LOL

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

This was being sent through at a Presidential Alert. 

You cannot turn those off - only weather and amber alerts can be disabled.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

My alert’s still on TV....a little too long for just a test, no? Maybe it’s stuck. 🤪

-----------------

The alert went on for 30 minutes.   Wasn't sure why so long....surely in an emergency the message

would be reported immediately and repeated several times.  But 30 minutes is a long time!!