Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

For those  who can't muster up enough compassion for animals and their suffering, look at the tragedy as Gandhi would have:

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

Thank you for putting this quote up! And it is so true. When I read it the first thing that came to my mind is a fireman who goes into a burning house to save the cat, and the story of the abandoned dog that two people spent hours coaching out from under a dangerous building. 

Although there are those who wouldn't think twice about hurting an animal - and I have seen the physical evidence many times - I like to think most people would go out of their way to help. 

So I guess our nation is great! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

IMO, the concern over the Cecil the Lion incident proves that we can walk and chew gum at the same time.

We can be concerned about climate change, war, Isis, worldwide disease, gun control, our economy, racism, and many other crises in our national and world society . . . and still be horrified by what happened to this magnificent animal, or seeing a kitten being hit by a car, or coming upon a houseful of neglected and abused children.  There's plenty of room for all of it.  To walk away and just say there's nothing we can do about any of it will ensure nothing good will ever happen.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Quite the topic, ladies. Smiley Happy

I feel bad for Cecil the lion. He suffered greatly before he died and the poor lion died for no reason at all. Hopefully his cubs will be okay.

With that said, animal lovers may want to calm down just a little bit. I think there was a lady on the QVC board who was going to adopt a kitten that came from a litter of four kittens. Guess what? She was scolded and chastised for only adopting one kitten instead of all four. I think she said she was told that she was "breaking up the family."

So see, even when people are good to animals, they still get a verbal tongue lashing. It's okay to be upset about Cecil the lion, but let's not be upset at others who may not feel the same. It doesn't mean they hate animals. It's just this story may not be on the top of their list at the moment.

Have a good day. Smiley Happy

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Regular Contributor
I so very much agree.
Respected Contributor

Re: Cecil overload........

[ Edited ]

NCBandwagon, I completely agree with you.  You are the voice of reason in my view.

Respected Contributor

@NC Bandwagon wrote:

Quite the topic, ladies. Smiley Happy

I feel bad for Cecil the lion. He suffered greatly before he died and the poor lion died for no reason at all. Hopefully his cubs will be okay.

With that said, animal lovers may want to calm down just a little bit. I think there was a lady on the QVC board who was going to adopt a kitten that came from a litter of four kittens. Guess what? She was scolded and chastised for only adopting one kitten instead of all four. I think she said she was told that she was "breaking up the family."

So see, even when people are good to animals, they still get a verbal tongue lashing. It's okay to be upset about Cecil the lion, but let's not be upset at others who may not feel the same. It doesn't mean they hate animals. It's just this story may not be on the top of their list at the moment.

Have a good day. Smiley Happy

Yes what you said could be turned around at those who say the same thing about those of us talking about Cecil. That we don't value human life etc ect.  

Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

I have mixed feelings about this topic.  I do feel bad about Cecil but the dentitst didn't know the lion was beloved.  His local guide is the one who should take responsibility.  I am thoroughly against all the trophy hunting.  However, in that country they allow the hunting because Americans pay thousands of dollars to do it. 

The other thing is that a lot of lions are killed every year so why was this one so famous, becuase the lion had a name?  In my part of PA we have hundreds of cute deer that run wild and they are allowed to be killed and no one questions it.  If we gave each deer a name would it make a difference? 

I've read more than one article stating that Palmer specifically targeted Cecil, not because he was famous, but because he was one of the largest lions on the reserve.

Remember that after he shot Cecil, he wanted to shoot an elephant, but they "couldn't find one big enough to suit him", according to one of the men involved in the hunt and Palmer was leaving the next day.

He 'prided' himself in killing the biggest animals he could find.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

I love what Pook and others said about this issue.  One of the real PLUS of this whole fiasco is that it is finally bringing to light in a big way the horrible practice of trophy hunting.  It needs to be brought to light and then that continuous light shining will hopefully inspire people to do something to make sure this problem is dealt with and restrictions will be tightened.  I feel God doesn't allow anything to happen without a reason and this is a time for this subject to come to light so people can begin to do something to restrict this practice. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks, ladies. Smiley Happy

I think the problem might be the choosing one over the other.

"Whaaaa? You like people? OMG!!! YOU HATE ANIMALS!!!!"

"Whaaaa? You like animals? OMG!!! YOU HATE PEOPLE!!!!"

LOL! Smiley Tongue People like animals and other people. Just depends on what people are going through and how they feel about it. Now, if someone's been bitten and/or scratched several times by animals, they're probably going to gravitate more towards people. And people who've been hurt by other people will probably gravitate more towards animals.

I know that's not true for every single person in the world. Just a generally for some and/or most.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Respected Contributor

Humans are trashing this planet, destroying thousands of species.  This animal was being used to study how to manage and protect lions.  It's just one way some people are trying to take care of Earth.  It's representative of the disrespect some have for living things.  I completely disagree with the OP.