Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cecil Update: Dentist surfaces

@Pearlee wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

With all due respect, seeing a photo and reading a graphic description are both offensive to some posters.  The OP purposely left off the link to avoid offending others who are reading.

Apparently, just about ANYthing "can be offensive to some posters."

Not playing your game....
Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Heart of Spade

I don't get it ... why would someone want to do this??? WHY!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@eddyandme

It's all pretty much been said under the "Cecil the Lion's killer is an American dentist" thread.  That's now on pg. 3 or 4 of "Community Chat."

One of the stages of grief is anger - but we all hope and expect that the anger will turn into action to help prevent and stop this kind of thing.  

So far there are petitions, and apparently government action is going to be taken, including extradition to Zimbabwe so he can be tried.  

It would also be a good thing to be able to stop trophy hunting altogether.  Perhaps this can be done in our lifetimes.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Heart of Spade wrote:

Unfortunately, he's not the only big game hunter who is willing to pay thousands of dollars to kill defenseless animals for sport.  Cecil was just one of many.  Hopefully Cecil didn't die in vain and finding a way to stop this ridiculous "sport" will gain momentum. 

If the U.S. made it illegal to bring their sick 'trophies' back here, to hang on their walls and use as rugs, that would help!

Still not a cure all, but it's a start!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@eddyandme

It's all pretty much been said under the "Cecil the Lion's killer is an American dentist" thread.  That's now on pg. 3 or 4 of "Community Chat."

One of the stages of grief is anger - but we all hope and expect that the anger will turn into action to help prevent and stop this kind of thing.  

So far there are petitions, and apparently government action is going to be taken, including extradition to Zimbabwe so he can be tried.  

It would also be a good thing to be able to stop trophy hunting altogether.  Perhaps this can be done in our lifetimes.

I'm in agreement with what you've said.  However, I still mean what I said (intimated to).  I have signed a petition and just got a long emailed 'letter', not the form-letter type, from Sen. Markey of Massachusetts.  So, whatever can be done, I'm certain will be done.  He has been pro-wildlife, et al, for many years in Congress.  I commended him for this in my reply.  Have also posted on Facebook, asking friends sign and share.  I don't refer to hunting of any kind, as hunting, as I believe it is MURDER - nothing less.  To add salt to the wound, this was as despicable as a murder can be.  Thank you for your post.  You are DEFINITELY right, but although I have acted, the anger is still with me.  And, perhaps, "trophy murders" will be stopped in our lifetime!

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme

Trophy murder - indeed that's what it is.

The NY Times is reporting that Zimbabwe's minister is asking for extradition.  

Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@eddyandme

Trophy murder - indeed that's what it is.

The NY Times is reporting that Zimbabwe's minister is asking for extradition.  

@GingerPeach

Thanks, I read on Facebook that this happenned.  Hope they do the same to all involved (scumballs guides).  Perhaps Zimbabwe will ban trophy murder:  if tourism drops, it will definitey happen.  I sometimes wonder (more so lately) how human beings can do the things they do.

Super Contributor

When this was being reported on the news this morning, it was mentioned that after killing Cecil this dentist asked the guides if they could go after an elephant the next day.  This man's mindset (and that of other big game hunters) is beyond understanding.

Esteemed Contributor

@Fona wrote:

When this was being reported on the news this morning, it was mentioned that after killing Cecil this dentist asked the guides if they could go after an elephant the next day.  This man's mindset (and that of other big game hunters) is beyond understanding.

@Fona

IMHO, beginning to think there's a new species in today's world, which for lack of a better word is despicable scum.  Any living thing with a soul does not think in this way; only despicable scum.

Honored Contributor

As a reminder, the Charles and Anne Lindbergh Foundation is doing amazing things with drones to help prevent rhino and elephant poaching.  

www.airshepherd.org