Honored Contributor

I'm  so glad you are OK.  You'll probably be sore tomorrow.  It was a foolish thing to do but I think we have all failed to listen to our inner voice and put ourselves on danger.  It's just part of being human.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Cautionary Tale

[ Edited ]

So sorry to hear what happened, but glad you are okay ...please be safe!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Thanks for all of your responses. I hate looking stupid, but if it reminds anyone to be careful , it's worth it. Again , be careful everyone ! 🌺

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Oznell  so true !

Trusted Contributor

So smart to be safe and not sorry. No safe way to walk on ice...even with gripper things. 

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 glad to hear you're ok.  When my dad was in his late 80s he started falling now and then. He never broke a bone!  I think he knew how to fall. I'm serious, I think he'd kinda tuck his arm in and roll on his side, then get back up. We used to say he was too tough to permit any bone to break! 

My sis and I have both fallen in the last few years. She broke each wrist once and I'm sure I had a hairline fracture but never went to get it checked.  I didn't have a lot of pain at first.  It was a few months before I realized my left wrist just couldn't hold heavy stuff as well as my right one.  That was 3 years ago.  Finally I'm finding I can lift better on the left but still not as well as on the right.

Contributor

Definitely NOT with slippers!  Even with boots with grippers, it's still not advised to go out on the icy pavement.  I remember years ago in Plum Island, MA,  hubby and I had boots AND ice grippers, AND walking sticks, and we were slipping and sliding, and had to inch our way back to the car.  Apparently there was a reason WE were the only ones there that day! :-)

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 Been thinking of you tonight & just wanted to say hope you're all intact and doing OK.  

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 Been thinking of you tonight & just wanted to say hope you're all intact and doing OK.  

@rms1954 , I'm a bit sore, but otherwise intact, probably better than I deserve after my foolishness. Thanks for the good thoughts.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@Kalli 

You are right. There is a "better" way to fall. They teach beginning skaters, both hockey and figure skating, the better ways to fall. There is a lot of falling for beginners. It's one of the fundamentals when a person is taught either type of skating by a skating coach.

As skaters move up in skill, less time is spent on the "how", and more time reminding skaters to remember this, through even higher skills. Regardless of skill as a figure skater or a hockey skater, you are going to fall. And as your body size, along with more weight hits the ice. More weight on an adult compared to a 4' youngster falling a shorter distance, and more weight?

Glad over time your wrist has gotten better.

Stay well now,

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)