Regular Contributor

Is Social Security closed for some reason?

Hi

I called the National phone number for Social Security, got through all the public service announcements, only to hear that they are unavailable and call back later.

So I called my local office and the phone just rang and never rolled to a recording.

Anyone know what's up with that? I did a search on their hours, but found nothing about  being closed today.

thanks,

dragonfly

Honored Contributor

Re: Is Social Security closed for some reason?

could it be that DC is completely shut down due to a storm...they don't know how to deal with snow there

Esteemed Contributor

Can you do what you need to do online? 

Honored Contributor

@Dragonflyveb wrote:

Hi

I called the National phone number for Social Security, got through all the public service announcements, only to hear that they are unavailable and call back later.

So I called my local office and the phone just rang and never rolled to a recording.

Anyone know what's up with that? I did a search on their hours, but found nothing about  being closed today.

thanks,

dragonfly

@Dragonflyveb   Try the SS website.  If this is about your personal account, you will have to enroll on the website.

If it is just about a general question, you should be able to find what you need.

If you cannot get through locally, there is no way for any of us to know what is going on since we don't know where you are.  You don't have to disclose this info, either.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

could it be that DC is completely shut down due to a storm...they don't know how to deal with snow there

A day after heavy snow forced localities and the federal government to close offices in Washington, D.C., all federal offices will be open Tuesday with a three-hour delay.

Federal employees who are eligible may take unscheduled leave or unscheduled telework on Tuesday. Otherwise, all employees are expected to report to work within three hours of their scheduled arrival time, according to the Office of Personnel Management.

- via THE PATCH

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@jackthebear  Just curious.....where do you live?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, didn't think the storm affected DC, but I guess it makes sense.

doesn't explain why my local office is closed, but who knows.

I am in the Midwest.

Thanks all! Maybe tomorrow I will get lucky...

dragonfly

edit: I filed a request for reconsideration, so I need a human...

those poor people stuck in their cars all night. What a mess!

Super Contributor

Think of the local offices as just satellites. If the main system is shut down, then the satellites have no access to anything....not the people they may need to ask things of and not the computer systems. Also, the internet is out in this area (DC to Richmond). I-95 both north and south between Richmond and DCis shut down for at least a 48 mile swath. No IT people getting to their jobs in DC, no internet service for many to access or work remotely, no power for many even if there was internet access. So, anything needing to tap any resources in and around DCare likely not functioning, functioning slowly, or not functioning well. I wish I could see a news report right now. No TV or internet for 24 hours. However, I am grateful that I have electricity and cell service. The poor folks doing without in their homes, and especially those stuck on I-95 just make my heart break. Virginia's lame response and not calling out the Guard or anyone they can to help those people just makes me sick. And I voted for the current governor, so this is not a partisan statement. There are ever so many people in the government and years of not planning and spending appropriately that went into this mess. However, the person at the top should be using all the resources right now, and they aren't. Everyone send positive thoughts to those stuck on the highway! I wish we all had horses or something, and could ride out and rescue them.

Honored Contributor

Did you hear about the snow storm and how it affected roads, travel, businesses?  Did you hear about  Covid and the new Omicron strain and how that is affecting people?  All those hospitalizations and sick people mean....people aren't on the job.  Visit the ssa.gov website and set up an account.  You probably don't have to speak to anyone.

Honored Contributor

Actuallly, SS Hdq is located here in Baltimore suburbs, been here since its inception. We got snow, but not nearly as much as DC.