Trusted Contributor

@dosey- Just wondering if you can share any tips for re-entering the workforce. I've been a SAHM for almost as long as you and I've applied for a few things and I think they see the lapse in work experience and that's the end. I did customer service and other clerical work for 20 years before I became stayed home with my daughter. I'm now looking for any kind of entry level position, even retail which I was never crazy about. I'm inspired by your story!

Respected Contributor

I admire you. Big changes are exciting, and they require guts and planning. You obviously have both!!! After successful careers, both my husband and I made a big decision at 53 that we would quit at age 55, and we started building our new house in a new locale. We did it! We quit, we moved, and we never looked back. A bold move, whatever it may be, can bring new energy and confidence. You must be flying high with your new accomplishments. Wow. Impressive.

Frequent Contributor
I am in my mid 50's and I am so proud of you. You are obviously very intelligent to be acquiring those licenses. You've reached a level of success that so many women dream of someday reaching. How exciting for you! 48 is so young these days....you have years to continue working and maybe even mentor another woman or two? Congratulations!!!!!
Honored Contributor

I  know many. I've toyed with the idea of working part-time but changing my focus within my field which means returning to college. I'm 52 and it never occured to me to not do it. My issue is time as I take care of son full-time so it will mean following a very specific schedule but still, it can be done.

Go for it!!!!!

Respected Contributor

Well congratulations and good luck.   Smiley Happy

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@NativeJax

I admire you for taking a new direction.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor
@libbyannE

I was laid off from a job I loved but I knew it was coming since February. I had hoped that they would create a spot for me as I was their top producer but in April I noticed I was being left out of important meetings. So, a few years ago when the Affordable Health Care Act was implemented I started to work on my licensing and didn't obtain prior to a promotion. The increase and the opportunity to train, obtain a directors position was what I had been waiting for. So I stopped moving forward towards transitioning into the insurance business. My father has his own independent agency since 1970. When I realized that it was apparent that I would be laid off I took vacation and took a class to prepare to test again. I obtained the health, life and annuity license. I thought I could work at my dads office but he is very ill and my step brother and step mother work there and they told my dad that they didn't want me to sell anything but life insurance products because it would take money away from them. I told dad he was too sick to have to worry with conflict so I would try and find a career agency. The first day I applied for jobs I applied for 34 jobs and the very same day I had over 14 responses. I was overwhelmed! I interviewed the following week with several companies and all of them offered me positions that did not require additional licensing but the offer with Prudential was a better opportunity for the long haul. Eventually, over the next year I will have 5 licenses in all, the only license I will not obtain is the series 7 which would allow me to trade securities.

One of the reasons I also decided to do this is that I do not have a college degree and knew I would need something that would help me find a better job. I understood that time was critical and that obtaining licenses would be faster and more affordable than four years of college. The option of having licenses can also provide salaried jobs managing accounts and many other options.

I have a girlfriend who started selling real estate almost two years ago, it has taken her almost two years to really get it going but she loves it. She said she doubled her income over last year so if anyone is looking for careers that would not require going back to college then the insurance or real estate business could be a good option for many.

I am not opposed to anyone going back to school at any age but for me it is more about time and money. I was fearful employers would not even look at my resume without college but I have found that not to be true. I have lots of experience and continually worked with no gaps since I was 15 years old.

I will say that there are jobs out there and at least here in Jacksonville there is plenty of opportunities.

Good luck to anyone out there looking for change and thanks for listening:-)
Trusted Contributor
PS:

Sorry for such a long post....
Esteemed Contributor

I retired at 53 with a pension but continued to work part time at jobs I enjoyed.  Never regretted it.  

Respected Contributor

Congratulations @NativeJax.  You sound very excited about this new opportunity and I'm sure it will meet all your expectations!

I did a "180" when I was slightly younger, took a huge salary cut (which I was most nervous about), but it has paid off ten-fold in enjoyment and unparalleled benefits.