Trusted Contributor

@NativeJax - my good friend is seguing herself into a real estate career and she is around 60. Although she has full-time job it's driving her crazy so she went to a real estate school and got her license.

After spinning her real estate wheels for about a year she changed companies, really pursued leads and just closed her first sale, and has several other irons in the fire.

I would like to evolve myself into a full-time skating coach but it takes time. So in the meantime I perservere at my day job.

Good luck to you! I'm sure you'll do fine in your next career and it seems to me like Florida's job market is really picking up. (I know you're in Jacksonville but I've heard of a couple tech companies establishing sites in the Orlando area).

Trusted Contributor
I have been in sales forever but in different industries....this is the financial industry and I am looking forward to the challenge. I feel that this is something I always wanted to try because you can really make a great living with the right clients. Plus, it's all about relationship building and I like working with people and helping them.

I am really looking forward to learning more about investing and growing your income.
Trusted Contributor
Yes the job market has picked up in our area and I have had many offers for work but I want to make a decision to work with a firm that is established and I am very lucky for the opportunity:-)
Trusted Contributor

Re: Career Change at 50

[ Edited ]

You might consider becoming an advisor who represents a deferred comp company. They travel to different employers / companies and advise employees on deferred comp options.

My employer has liasons with two different companies that offer that type of service. The reps make the rounds to each building about once a month. We can make appointments with them to see how our portfolios are doing and they advise and assist in making adjustments, if desired.

It's the same rep every time so we can establish a relationship with them.

Trusted Contributor
That does sound great!!! I would love that:-) I am sponsored right now thru a broker/dealer but I will be a prudential employee once I receive my additional license. I already spoke with them about a business to business approach. I would love to work with city employees, cops, firemen and work with business HR departments, offer workshops and see if people would be interested with that approach.
Honored Contributor

Good for you JAX!

I know quite a few ladies who started over at 50, and they are quite successful.. My close friend jhad a job for 15 years.  She literally  turned around her whole direction at 54!  She now is in building code enforcement for one of the wealthiest cities in the Bay Area, in California. She just wanted better benefits, and a career she was more passionate about.  My daughter is another as well.  One day at 49,she said...going back to school, changing careers.  She has 11 months to go.  She is excited.  Tired, tired tired, but happy

Respected Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
I am a little scared because I know it takes time to build up clients and its a lot of hard work. I don't mind the hard work but the change in income for now is scary. I know the potential income is there but not right out of the gate.

Thanks for the cheering:-)

@NativeJax

maybe I can help...............the one thing everyone in your situation overlooks it the need to market yourself.............now that is an easy thing to do with all the desk top publishing you can now do...........Word has a three fold template that you can put together by yourself on your  own computer and publish it yourself.............put YOUR information.........name, phone number on it................include some information on your services and other useful information...........THEN.............place them in places where people have to wait...........where they are going to get bored from waiting and don't want to read the 8 month old magazine.............dental offices, medical offices, hair salons, Pep Boys, Jiffy Smog...........places where people have to wait.

you can get tri-fold paper on Amazon or Office Depot, or Office Max.........suggest you get the glossy............you will be surprised at what a professional brochure you can get for very little $$..........but one that will bring $$ to you.............................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Trusted Contributor
@raven

That's is fantastic! I would be interested in that for sure:-) I went to lunch with them last week and they advised they have their own marketing material I just go online an order, maybe they have something similar. They also advised they would pay for organizations I would like to join. They do seem very excited to bring me on board. This process right now will take a few more weeks.
Respected Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
@raven

That's is fantastic! I would be interested in that for sure:-) I went to lunch with them last week and they advised they have their own marketing material I just go online an order, maybe they have something similar. They also advised they would pay for organizations I would like to join. They do seem very excited to bring me on board. This process right now will take a few more weeks.

@NativeJax

since they have their own marketing material..........remember that is marketing their product/services..........you need to market YOU because you want potential clients coming to you, asking for you............so what you can do is staple one of YOUR business cards to their material..........but still put that material in places where people have to wait.

When I worked for Home Depot, I was the highest grossing designer they had and we had four stores here............one of the suits came to visit me and said to me............you are an excellent designer, but you are even better at marketing yourself and you just take Home Depot along with you LOL............I told him, that's right and it works out well on both counts. I used some or their marketing material and some of their material they copied off of me.......BUT ALWAYS I was included on that material.

Where I am at now, I do my own marketing material and it has, just like at HD, paid off big time for me...........even letting former HD clients know where I am at and now they are clients of mine at this company.  I had one of my former clients call me today and I will be measuring her master bath next Monday, I have alread done the other bath when I worked at HD.......so market yourself girl.

so use their materials BUT add you to it with a business card......................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

@NativeJax

Good luck in your career change.  I do not know what your prior career was but I know selling insurance is not an easy job. 

As for leaving your personal professional profile pamphlets in offices, is that a regional thing? 

I go to a lot of doctors' offices, the dentist, the periodontist, the endodontist, and oral surgeon.  I have never scene any professional profile pamphlets in any of them.