Respected Contributor

Re: Card skimmers found inside two Walmarts

@chrystaltree wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I wonder what the receipts look like from a fake card reader or does it not generate a receipt?  I save my receipts and make sure I get one and if I don't, I get help from a clerk to find out why. 

They aren't fake atm machines, the transactions and the receipts are legit.  There's no problem with the actual atm machine.  The problem is that there's a device on the atm machine that captures card numbers and passwords or the access number.  The thieve then take those card numbers and passwords and make purchase or withdraw cash. 

Thanks for the explanation.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

These card skimmers that were found inside Walmart I assume were at the self serv area?  

Regular Contributor

Thank  you for posting!!

Just last week my bank called me and told me that I had some fraudlent charges on my card. There were 2 in Illinois and 1 from South Africa for over $500. When I got the fraud alert from my bank I called and they told me that the people somehow had my card numbers (they apparently just got lucky by entering numbers) but not my account info. So now I am waiting on a new card and boy it sucks not being able to access my money.

My new card is supposed to be a chip card so I hope that helps but I also have an RFID wallet and I've never had any problems from scanners getting my info.

Fraud alerts are wonderful things! 

Frequent Contributor

Would it be possible to check to see if there's a skimmer before making your transaction?  I mean that I'd like to know if you could feel for the skimmer and pull it off before using the ATM or gas station terminal?  

Esteemed Contributor

This is very disturbing.  I'm scared to use my cards at the Home Depot after their breach, Macy's now Walmart?  I'm gonna need to pay with cash a little more often.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mardie wrote:

Would it be possible to check to see if there's a skimmer before making your transaction?  I mean that I'd like to know if you could feel for the skimmer and pull it off before using the ATM or gas station terminal?  

Not sure about the devices on the card readers, but I am very familar with the ones on gas pumps.  I have found 3 in the past 18 months, no telling how much info and gas was taken in during the periods in question.  In fact somebody here asked why stores are not prosecuting skimmers, the people who are rarely caught implementing these devices are low men in the entire scheme, mostly Eastern European hackers, therefore it's a waste of legal fees for most stores.  I would post a picture but I don't feel like being scolded by the board police on this thread.

Honored Contributor

Example of 2 kinds of skimmers...

ATM skimmer

Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at Sat, May 28, 2016-2.33.20 PM.png

If the slot is sticking out like the one circled, it's a skimmer.  You can actually pull it out yourself.

Portable restaurant skimmer

Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at Sat, May 28, 2016-2.36.49 PM.png

Waiter/waitress takes your cc, skims your cc on their way to the cashier.

Reason why I always pay cash at restaurants.

FWIW...

You can purchase legit scammers at stores like Staples and various online retailers.  Unfortunately, most are used illegally.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Oh wow!  Thank You so much for those photos.  I have never had any idea what they look like or how they are applied on, or in the area of, the machines.    

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't have known what to look for either. Thanks for the photos
Respected Contributor

Thank you @Mz iMac

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____