Honored Contributor

Re: Card skimmers found inside two Walmarts

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I prefer to carry cash - never do I swipe  my card at a gas station or ATM for sure - I go inside the bank when I need money.  Plus, after shopping, I put away all of my $1 bills and change and at the end of the month I have a nice little savings! 

Me too!  I am a cash & carry gal.  Also use free money orders & checks to pay bills.

Online stores do not get my business unless they accept money orders, bank check or personal checks.

Credit card is for emergency use only.  Knock on wood....no emergencies yet. Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

Wouldn't the chipped cards be safe from that?  A only use my chipped card every where.  And NO DEBIT CARD, I charge everything then pay off every month.

@MoJoV, I understand that when we use the chip terminal for our chip cards that it creates a one time code for that transaction.  So It should be harder to skim or use in any way.  I hope so anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

I got a Walmart credit card that uses the chip.  That is the ONLY one I use to purchase when I am there.

However, I keep a close eye on all my accounts -- my Discover uses a chip now too -- and never had an issue with removing ANY charges.  Even one as small as a dollar.

Yes, it's discouraging to have fraud everywhere.  You begin to feel there isn't any hope for us honest people!

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

I'm seriously considering one of these prepaid debit cards for all of my purchases. I know my credit cards protect me from unauthorized purchases but I wonder if I will ever have to defend myself if my bank denies my claim. It would be a hassle because I would have to keep loading the card up but with stuff like this happening I might be a bit safer.

You'd be smart to do that.  I did it years ago.  I have a Greendot debit card, money from my paycheck is deposited on the card every month.  I do all my online and shopping channel purchases with that card but I also use it at places like Walmart and the grocery store.  So, if the card or the number should ever fall into nefarious hands, I wouldn't lose any serious money and it's  not linked to my bank account.  It's so incredibly easy, I don't know why more people don't take advantage of it.  Even  before I started payroll deductions, I just went to Cvs or Radio Shack to put money on it. 

Honored Contributor

I'm back to using CASH for all purchases.  

By the way ...........    THREE TIMES I've had a card closed and replaced by my bank after I made a purchase at Target.   I rarely shop there anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like inside jobs. Walmart has the best and most cameras - I'm sure they would be able to identify the scammers. 

Honored Contributor

This is VERY common in the retail industry, not sure why some are surprised, shrugs........

Honored Contributor

This is getting ridiculous! My card was used for illegal purchases about a month ago. I tried to make a purchase and it was declined. Even though I knew there should be no problem, the first thing I did was check my bank account balance. It was fine. I tried to use it again. Same problem. Then I checked my e-mail and my bank had sent me a fraud alert. I was almost afraid to open the link - you know how safe THAT is all of the time - but I did. There was a list of my last 8 purchases. There were "purchases" made in Beijing, Massachusetts, Houston, and Missouri. They ranged in price from $487 to $1.19. The message said "if you have authorized these transactions click here," and "if you have not authorized one or more of these transactions click here." I clicked the "did not authorize" button, and my phone rang immediately. A security expert for our bank went through my last 20 transactions with me. Then they put a block on my card. 

Luckily, they had sent me one of the new chip cards, so all I had to do was activate it. If I didn't have that one, DH and I would have been sharing a card - which we have done before and which is a pain. I put my new card in a hard aluminum lined card case, which I had been using for restaurant and shopping membership cards. But every time I take it out, whether I'm at the grocery store, or putting in in a restaurant's bill holder, I get paranoid. I'm standing in line at the grocery store, and I take it out and hold it tightly in my hand - like that will do any good. 

I don't know what else to do. Around here if you want to write a check, they look at you as if you have two heads! 

Respected Contributor

I wonder what the receipts look like from a fake card reader or does it not generate a receipt?  I save my receipts and make sure I get one and if I don't, I get help from a clerk to find out why.