Honored Contributor

@SeaMaidenMaybe it's hard to get parts for the older cars?

As for the price, it's hard for any of us to compare when all we know is a total price because we might have different levels of coverage or live in a different rating area.

Auto insurance has lots of comparisons with real estate -  location counts a whole lot and so does the cost of our cars and the amount of coverage we think we need.  I can't even compare my cost with that of my next-door neighbor because even with cars of similar age and cost, we still need way different levels of coverage. 

Honored Contributor

We have AAA insurance and our prices have only gone up a very small amount in 6 years we have been with them. No after market parts on cars or house. We expected an increase after the hurricane last fall but did not get one. (we had no claims from the storm).in 2016 DH had an accident and they also didn't raise our premium. -He hit a deer and the damage was around $3000.

Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

That was my feeling too @NickNack.  But, my niece has them and when she had a accident she was very pleased.  This is a hard decision.  It's not just price but I want good customer service tto.

I've done Google searches for reviews of car insurance companies in PA, sometimes Geico comes out at the top and other times they come out at the bottom.

@Winkk  I prefer going with a private insurance agency who can check lots of different companies and give you a choice based on price and what the policy covers.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have a 19 year old Chevy van that I pay $700 a year for.... and a 2016 kia  Sorroto that I pay about $600 a year for.  Go  Figure that out!.

I have Farmers Insurance for my home and cars.  We have used Farmers for over 40 years and never had a claim or an accident. We are both 62 years young. I have never checked to see if there was cheaper insurance... we just stay with Farmers.

Your 2016 car has many more safety features.  Your insurance is cheaper because you're less likely to be injured or to injure anyone else, and injuries will be less severe (including 3rd party injuries, because of the size and weight difference between the vehicles). 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Car Insurance

[ Edited ]

After reading some replies here, I am now worried about having gone with Geico recently!  As someone said "too good to be true" !!! 

I had researched for 3 solid days before changing over to Geico.  They were much, much lower than all companies I compared them with.  Even with full coverage on two vehicles (one new and one older), they still were the lowest!  

I've been with them now for 2.5 years, and they did go up a tiny bit last year, and I wondered if it was because I had the one claim for "roadside assistance."  

Have any of you had any "big" claim with Geico, and if so, how did they handle the big claim?  

I came back to edit about another company we had at one time.  We were with Allstate for many years - about 16 - and they kept raising our rates.  I do think it was because of 2 fairly large claims and one small claim that we had during our tenure with them.  One was when I hydroplaned on a wet road and totalled my car, and another one was tornado damage to our roof.  Our premium almost doubled after we filed those 2 claims!!

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Winkk wrote:

That was my feeling too @NickNack.  But, my niece has them and when she had a accident she was very pleased.  This is a hard decision.  It's not just price but I want good customer service tto.

I've done Google searches for reviews of car insurance companies in PA, sometimes Geico comes out at the top and other times they come out at the bottom.

@Winkk  I prefer going with a private insurance agency who can check lots of different companies and give you a choice based on price and what the policy covers.

i agree with using an insurance broker. that is how we ended up switching to ERIE insurance from NATIONWIDE.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Found out long ago that where you live (not just state but locally) can have major impact on insurance.  When I lived in CA in a rural community we had no choice but to take 395 whenever we went out of town; that is one of most dangerous highways in country (5 fatalities in last month!!!!).  Talk about huge auto insurance!! The only insurance company we even consider is USAA (always among the top rated).

Valued Contributor

Insurance companies have paid out billions in property damage due to hurricanes and wildfires.  We're all paying for it now.

Respected Contributor

I know everyone has their own experiences, but we have had Geico for many years.  I can't recall our premiums going up very much over the years.  We have had only one claim and it was major damage.  It was handled with no problems or dissatisfaction at all.

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@Winkk wrote:

i agree with using an insurance broker. that is how we ended up switching to ERIE insurance from NATIONWIDE.

@sunshine45@, @Nicknack, I decided that's what I'm going to do, use a broker.  They can compare different policies for me.