Reply
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,835
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Amen! And I cannot beleive they made him leave! 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎04-09-2019

People think of Capt Crozier as a hero. But nothing could be further from the truth. What he did was put his aircraft carier and sailors/crew at a high risk. He practically, by leaking confidential letter to 30 people (and the media), advertised to the public that his fighter ship full of munition, nuclear weapons, an expensive aircraft jets, was vulnerable. It placed the operational security of that ship in jeorpady and emboldened the enemy to seek advantage. He, as well, undermined the chain of command (who were moving and adjusting as rapidly as possible to get him the help he needed in the next 24/48 hours. The Secretary of the Navy said that Capt Crozier was overwhelmed. That's not the attitude of a U.S. Navy Captain. Imagine if he was at war and could not make the right decisions? Crozier unnecesarily raised the alarm with the families of the sailor with no plans to address those concerns or reassurance. He knew well that leaking that letter would get him relieved from that ship. He probably wanted out.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 711
Registered: ‎06-27-2016

Re: Captain Brett Crozier

[ Edited ]

Just out of curiosity, those that are applauding this commander....if there was something catastrophic to happen to the U.S and it was b/c of this "security breach" (ie: possibly showing our military was at a weak point, etc..)...how would you feel then?

 

ETA: I realized that @ariezle post was exactly along the lines of what I was referring too...she just said it better than I did.

~ Hope in TN ~
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 711
Registered: ‎06-27-2016

@arizele wrote:

My husband I were both officers in the USAF, so I have a completely different take. The Captain was wrong. He did at least 3 things that every military officer is trained NOT to do. 1.He revealed classified information through insecure channels, letting every bad actor country out there know he had a reduction in force. 2. He did not use his chain of command. 3. He allowed his sailors to take liberty off ship in Vietnam the first week in March while the virus was raging in China. Do you know how close those 2 countries are?

Also, although 155 sailors have tested positive, they all have mild or asymptomatic cases. None required hospitalization. He could have waited. The Navy was handling it. Instead he endangered the lives of others in his carrier group. Do you know that carrier was not alone? It was accompanied by a strike force. Destroyers, subs supply ships. I have a nephew in the Navy doing a highly classified job and his actions put him and others in danger. He revealed a weakness and there are many who will take advantage of it.


ITA with this and ty for your service Heart This is what my question was essentially about.

~ Hope in TN ~
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 711
Registered: ‎06-27-2016

@Tayler1 wrote:

People think of Capt Crozier as a hero. But nothing could be further from the truth. What he did was put his aircraft carier and sailors/crew at a high risk. He practically, by leaking confidential letter to 30 people (and the media), advertised to the public that his fighter ship full of munition, nuclear weapons, an expensive aircraft jets, was vulnerable. It placed the operational security of that ship in jeorpady and emboldened the enemy to seek advantage. He, as well, undermined the chain of command (who were moving and adjusting as rapidly as possible to get him the help he needed in the next 24/48 hours. The Secretary of the Navy said that Capt Crozier was overwhelmed. That's not the attitude of a U.S. Navy Captain. Imagine if he was at war and could not make the right decisions? Crozier unnecesarily raised the alarm with the families of the sailor with no plans to address those concerns or reassurance. He knew well that leaking that letter would get him relieved from that ship. He probably wanted out.


@Tayler1  Again, ITA...I think you are exactly right. People are getting caught up in the "hero" thing, but as my question that I posed....I tend to think folks would be singing a different tune if something happened to the U.S. on count of his actions.

~ Hope in TN ~
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,728
Registered: ‎10-07-2013

NO!!!!! He is NOT a hero.  He went rougue.  He went public.  He failed to follow the chain of command.  He sandbagged his superiors.  He upset the good order of the military.  The sailors cheering him on as he left the ship are the kinds of "snowflakes" you find in schools protesting when their favorite teacher is removed.  I'm afraid that some in the military don't understand the military.  That could be disastrous.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,246
Registered: ‎10-04-2015
BrandiDavis wrote:
Tayler1 wrote:

People think of Capt Crozier as a hero. But nothing could be further from the truth. What he did was put his aircraft carier and sailors/crew at a high risk. He practically, by leaking confidential letter to 30 people (and the media), advertised to the public that his fighter ship full of munition, nuclear weapons, an expensive aircraft jets, was vulnerable. It placed the operational security of that ship in jeorpady and emboldened the enemy to seek advantage. He, as well, undermined the chain of command (who were moving and adjusting as rapidly as possible to get him the help he needed in the next 24/48 hours. The Secretary of the Navy said that Capt Crozier was overwhelmed. That's not the attitude of a U.S. Navy Captain. Imagine if he was at war and could not make the right decisions? Crozier unnecesarily raised the alarm with the families of the sailor with no plans to address those concerns or reassurance. He knew well that leaking that letter would get him relieved from that ship. He probably wanted out.


Tayler1  Again, ITA...I think you are exactly right. People are getting caught up in the "hero" thing, but as my question that I posed....I tend to think folks would be singing a different tune if something happened to the U.S. on count of his actions.


 

 

 

I too, felt bad for the captain, I couldn't understand why that happened. Only after reading the details, I now understand. Yes, his actions put his aircraft carrier and crew in a high risk...dangerous situation. 

 

 

To better understand the chain of events...  I posted (read post #47) ...

 

Statement from the Acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas B. Modly, regarding the relief of the Commanding Officer of USS Theodore Roosevelt.

 

 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,871
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@BrandiDavis wrote:

Just out of curiosity, those that are applauding this commander....if there was something catastrophic to happen to the U.S and it was b/c of this "security breach" (ie: possibly showing our military was at a weak point, etc..)...how would you feel then?

 

ETA: I realized that @ariezle post was exactly along the lines of what I was referring too...she just said it better than I did.


 

 

@BrandiDavis 

 

that goes both ways actually......

what would have happened if that number had doubled or tripled in days without having anything done? would that have been BETTER? we would have possibly been killing our OWN citizens because of their delay?

 

do we know who actually leaked the letter?

 

he has a duty to protect and safeguard the well being of his crew. he also has the duty to protect the US from foreign adversaries. dueling interests.....he chose to protect his men. there could easily be a court case coming. the crew has been quarantined, the US is safe.

 

i pray a FULL INVESTIGATION is done by our leaders.

 

 

**************************************************
"If everything around you seems dark, look again. You may be the light." - Rumi
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,845
Registered: ‎05-23-2011

Captain Crozier has tested positive for Covid-19

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,871
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@JaneMarple wrote:

Captain Crozier has tested positive for Covid-19


Smiley Sad

 

can you even imagine how many men on that ship are infected?

**************************************************
"If everything around you seems dark, look again. You may be the light." - Rumi