Honored Contributor

Re: Can someone explain this story to me?

That these inconsiderate,  entitled parents are "accommodated" only encourages more of the same inconsiderate, entitled behavior. No one should be asked to give up their seat. The woman with twins broke the rules and should have been removed from the plane; instead she was given a pass and rewarded for her misdeed.

Honored Contributor

What a great story on the linked Facebook page. I'd certainly have done the same had I been there.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

glad I don't fly

Respected Contributor

I always bought my children their own seats and took the car seats on the plane. They didn't count as carry on luggage, they were in addition to carry on luggage. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Respected Contributor

Musicians who choose to travel with rare/expensive/special instruments pay for a seat for their instrument.

Gotta pay for the baby's extra seats or travel w/another adult.

Honored Contributor

If the woman has a return flight, I hope she plans it better. That was nice of the passenger to help.

Respected Contributor

Ah Ha!  I now see the problem, the mother was traveling without a plan.  This is a VERY bad idea.

I could not tell you the last flight that I was on in the last 12-18 months that was not sold out or oversold.  The idea that one is traveling with small babies with the hope of an extra seat is a bad idea.

PROBLEM 2:  In the new age of airfare you pay extra for the premium seats (which is any seat not in the middle of the aisle).

If I am paying $80 ADDITIONAL for an aisle seat in the section of my choice I am NOT trading seating for free because someone else failed to plan. (as many mentioned above that families want to sit together and the airline encourages people to rearrange)

I would never expect someone who paid for a particular seat to trade with me because I want my family in one row and did not want to pay for it. 

Thank you all for chiming in, I was applying logic......

Respected Contributor

I agree that the expectation that people will switch seats can be a bit much.

I was on a flight where the man did not want to give up his aisle seat and the mother said - well then you will have to be responsible for the kids - in the middle and window - they were probably 2 and 3. 

Unbelievable.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I was on a flight where the man did not want to give up his aisle seat and the mother said - well then you will have to be responsible for the kids - in the middle and window - they were probably 2 and 3. 

Unbelievable.

Then the mom should give the pasenger the difference in cost for the seat. The mom knew the seating arrangement in  advance.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Unbelievable.

Then the mom should give the pasenger the difference in cost for the seat. The mom knew the seating arrangement in  advance.

What I've witnessed, is that they are usually prepared with the - we couldn't get our seats assigned in advance and "they broke up our family"  or something like that.

And, maybe that's even true.  I do think it is going to be harder as the airlines now want to charge for better seats and since more and more flights are full to get people to willingly give up their good seats for parents - let alone volunteer to hold someone's baby for the entire flight because she didn't buy the baby a seat - the woman who did that must be a saint.